Won't work! Is my hardware messed up? (With Pictures)

TJP

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have the previous version of the MBP, 17" HD Antiglare running Tiger. This was the version of the laptop that they let out right before Leopard I believe (All silver, more squared edges). I had a problem after I turned off the computer one night, only to have it not turn back on the next morning. After a while, I was able to get the 'turn on' sound to work correctly, but after that it felt as if the laptop wasn't even running. Nothing appeared on the screen, but I do not believe it was a screen issue as after the turn on sound came on, the laptop just seemed to die. I can usually hear it running, but it just stopped after that. It had problems taking in the discs that I put in and I would have to 'force eject' them. When hooked up to the power cord it acts as if it is still charging, because the light comes on on the cord. Tried doing all of the fixes, resetting everything etc. Finally I have taken it apart and have taken pictures of the hardware. I don't know much about it, so I'm not sure if you would be able to spot anything that is wrong. But any help is greatly appreciated. Here are the pics:

IMG_5477.jpg

IMG_5478.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_5482.jpg

IMG_5483.jpg

IMG_5485.jpg

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5487.jpg

Thank you in advance for any help. I would just like to get this fixed and maybe sold to help pay for this new one (as they are not cheap at all). Thank you again. Any questions feel free to ask!

Best,
T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
With all due respect....Are you serious ?

OP
T

TJP

Reaction score
Hey Clayneal,

I'm going to go ahead and figure that this was a dumb question to ask then? I am serious, I have no clue about hardware and everything looked fine, I couldn't see anything burnt out, but thought I'd go ahead and ask anyways.

Sorry,

Best,
T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey , I really didnt mean any disrespect but unless It had been on fire no one I know of could look at pics and say "well heres your problem". I would suggest putting her back together and go see a tech.

Clay

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Clay's 2nd post, I would put it back together and take it to an Apple Store and see what they think.

That 1st post was a bit harsh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ya in hind sight i guess it was...sorry.

Clay

OP
T

TJP

Reaction score
Hey,

No problem, all is well. I do have one question if anyone here has taken one apart before. The long wire coming off the second picture at the top, was attached to the first picture somewhere, but when I pulled it apart I did so too fast to be able to see where it needed to go. Any ideas? If you know and could maybe draw a red square around where so that might be great, maybe I'm asking too much. Thanks again,

Best,
T

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
T

TJP

Reaction score
Hey D,

Thanks for the article, was able to get it back together :) Boots up it seems like no screen of course, trying to use this install disk and that won't load up. Oh well, maybe I'll make the drive to a Genius bar. Thanks a bunch!

Best,
T

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Some MacBook Pro models with the GeForce 8600GT have an issue where the GPU overheats and does permanent damage to it. The problem will manifest itself as having no video at all, or distorted video. This is a known issue and Apple has extended the warranty for an additional 2 years to cover any potential defects.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.