Appointment at a Genius Bar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz
So I booked an appointment at my local genius bar. It's to address the problem of the grey, hairline cracks appearing on the case of my MacBook, (i posted some pictures a while ago).

Do you think these cracks are repaired under warranty? I'm still under the 1 year warranty, and hoping this isn't going to cost anything. If it does, I can live with it I guess.

The cracks aren't a huge problem, it's just it's another oppurtunity for moisture to get inside the machine, so I'd like it repaired.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
How did the cracks get there? It really depends how it happened. If it happened by itself then they probably will fix it.

If you did something to it or someone else. IE someone stepped on your MB. Then they won't fix it for free.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz
i have no idea how the cracks got there, never dropped it. apparently its common? theyre just tiny hairline cracks that i noticed a while ago. ive seen a few pictures of them on the internet and some people have got theirs repaired, some havent.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i have no idea how the cracks got there, never dropped it. apparently its common? theyre just tiny hairline cracks that i noticed a while ago. ive seen a few pictures of them on the internet and some people have got theirs repaired, some havent.

It is a common problem and they shouldn't give you any trouble.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz
I'm getting quite annoyed now. I decided to have a closer look at my MacBook, all over.

I've found this little cracks all over the case, in random places.
Under the Ethernet port, on the circle used to take the battery out, on the indent on the front of the laptop, used to open the lid, at the back of the laptop.
The casing around the screen feels like it's coming off, if I tap it, near where it says MacBook, it makes a sound, and there's a gap where you can tell it's coming off.

Here are some pics:

this is the first set of cracks i noticed

then the cracks went on further

extremely bad picture, but these are the cracks under the ethernet port

this is the raising of the case near the ports

this is the raising of the back case

Couldnt get a decent picture of the case around the screen coming off.
It's bugging me because I didn't pay for this laptop to essentially fall apart!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I have those same cracks. I just have not taken it into the Apple Store yet. There was a article floating around saying that Apple is secretly acknowledging that it is a problem and will fix it for free if under warranty. Usually the bottom casing isn't covered by warranty.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz
I'm gonna ask them to have a look at the casing around the screen as well, because that's worrying me. Feels like I could just pull it off!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
It is considered to be a fault and they will fix it reardless of if you are still in the warranty period or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Those definitely look like the type of cracks that Apple has been fixing under warranty. I have a hand rest crack that I know Apple will fix, I just need to find the time to be parted with my Macbook :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.