Wifi keeps abruptly stopping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 1 GB Memory
This is a recurring problem that I still can't find an answer to:

Occasionally, when using my Macbook, my internet will stop working. However, the airport menu icon still says I'm connected with full bars.

After clicking the airport menu icon and letting it scan for all available networks, my internet returns back to normal.

This will keep happening every 2 - 15 minutes sometimes and its really inconvenient when trying to download large files and I have to keep clicking the airport icon to make sure I retain my connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

OP
BrettCommandeur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 1 GB Memory
Help still needed

Thanks but this problem is only occurring on my macbook, my mac mini and iMac never lose connection in this way.

I'm guessing the problem is with my computer because the connection always comes back completely after clicking the airport menu icon.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks but this problem is only occurring on my macbook, my mac mini and iMac never lose connection in this way.

I'm guessing the problem is with my computer because the connection always comes back completely after clicking the airport menu icon.

You might be surprised. A lot of it has to do with placement of your router as it relates to where you're using your machine.

For example, if the router is in your basement and you're using your MacBook on the second floor, but the other devices are on the first, that could definitely be the cause.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
So the Mini and the iMac are wireless as well? if they are all wireless, then compare settings in Sys Prefs/Network of MacBook. You should be comparing apples with apples - sorry!

Reaction score
Does this happen if you bring the Macbook in the same room as the router ? If it doesn't, try facing the laptop towards the wall the router is behind. This happen to me with my new MBP, I had all my signal bars to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6ghz 15" MacBook Pro early 2008
I had a similar problem not too long ago, what I ended up doing is going into

Network Preferences
Airport---Advanced
Preferred Networks

and deleting them all, then re-added only my network back, and that seemed to be it, I guess some file just got Corrupt? I'm not sure, but after all that I've added more sites back into it and it's working fine.

I was pretty relieved, I was just a day away from driving 3 hours to the closest Apple store =\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.