Grey screen at boot

Reaction score
hey guys, long time lurker here on this forum but I had to sign up today. Last time i was using my black macbook ( almost 2 years old now) it took an unusual long time to shut down which was weird and now every time i try to boot i just get a grey screen. No apple logo, no tone, no spinning circle, no flashing ?, i do believe it is still under warranty. I live in canada and we don't have an apple store in this city so where would i bring it ( i bought it off apple.ca). Im thinking maybe a failed HD?? is there anything i can try to help my poor computer :( haha.

thanks,
Brandon.

Edit: I just held option on startup and got a mouse which i didn't have before but no hardrive symbols, does this mean shes failed? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It sounds like it. You could try running fsck in single user mode to see if it helps at all. It will check for files etc, which may tell you whether the HD is at fault or something else.
If you need to know how PM me or search here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try to boot and see if you can get the install DVD to be accepted, and reboot from that holding down 'C' after the chimes. If successful, go to Utilities and run 'Repair Disk' and see what is reported.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.