Mac Mini Hard Drive Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have a Mac Mini Duo Core 1.66.

Facts
It came with a 100 gig hard drive.
I have an external drive (300 gigs USB 2 for backups)
I purchased a new 320 gig hard drive (7200 rpm) to install
I purchased 2 gigs of Crucial Ram to install
I purchased Leopard to install

What I want to do:
Upgrade the Hard Drive to the New One (I have a resource that will do this for me)

Question about Old Hard Drive/Data:
What's the best way to back up all the old data and make a bootable drive from it? I'm thinking get a firewire enclosure and pop the old drive in it, so once I have my computer upgraded, I can still access any old files/music/photos I need to copy over.

Any ideas on how to keep my old data available and even bootable from a disk are greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is pop the old drive in an external caddy. You don't need to do anything to it. Firewire is essential really should you ever want to boot form the drive for whatever reason and you can keep your USB one for I'm guessing time machine backups? Only word of warning is to ensure the new drive is not a thermal beast. A common failure in Mac Mini's I come across results from people putting extremely fast drives inside which emit so much heat that then you get other component failures. Check out here for some tried and tested recommendations Accelerate Your Mac! Mac Drive Upgrades/Compatibility Database

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.