Dell Monitor to MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a new MacBook Pro, and I just bought a Dell 3008WFP 30" Monitor. I bought the Dual Link DVI adapter from Mac and hooked up the monitor to the comp as the directions from Dell showed.

However, the only thing that happens when I turn my Mac on is the monitor displays the background pic that my Mac has. It doesn't show any icons, mouse, or anything else - only the background image.

There's a disc that came with the dell that says it contains drivers, user guide, etc - but it says it's only for windows xp and windows vista.

What do I do!? I bought XP and haven't installed it on a virtual drive yet on the mac but I'm assuming I could install the drivers that way but when I switch to and from the OS's, I'm not sure if it won't work while I'm using Mac's OS...

:(

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Ok if you want mirrored screens then look in system preferences then display. Then check mirrored. Done.

If you want just the monitor, close the MacBook pro and wake it with an external keyboard or mouse and done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP
Hit the F7 key

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
When it is just the background, that is your desktop across both screens. You can adjust which side of your MBP the monitor is on in the Prefs. Then you can drag you mouse across both and drag programs and so on...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.