G5 Hardware Question, Expert Needed

Reaction score
Hey All,

First post, first mac, but not a technology lightweight, so hopefully you guys can help me out.

Here's the situation: Ordered my first mac ever off of E-Bay. Power Mac G5 late 2005 with dual core 2.3ghz, etc etc. Great price, very excited. Bad news, Fed Ex dropped it and the thing won't turn on.(and no insurance so no dice on the claim.. :( ) No lights on the front panel when the power button is pressed, no fans, no drives spinning. Disassembled and tested the power supply, 5V coming out of the appropriate pins. So power is good. No signs of wear and tear or damage to the logic board, and the CPU and heat sink seemed to be mounted correctly. I take a look at the front panel board and notice during tear down that one of the posts that it attaches itself (via two black screws) to the logic board has been separated from the board. The impact was on the bottom of the case from the front so this may have been the casualty. Is there a way that the front panel board is damaged to a point where it will not start the computer? Or is it a necessity that the logic board connecting post be physically attached to the logic board. I have pictures of both if necessary. To the untrained eye they seem reasonably fine. Some signs of trauma around the openings for the screws on the front panel board, but other than that not horrible looking.

OK, thanks for reading my ramblings. Any info would be much appreciated. Especially a way that I might test the front panel board to ensure it is the problem, or anything that leads to my power mac becoming more than just a paperweight worth over $500.

Thanks so much,
Sean

Reaction score
What I'd say from personal experience of rough courier and macs is that like any computer the damage caused can be invisible to the eye. My experience of Powermac G5s is that I've known them fail when the cpu socket area has suffered from pressure of a drop and the weight of the heatsink caused small fractures on the PCB of the logic board. Not sure what it's like in the US but could you claim on your home insurance?

Reaction score
powermac g5

i am wanting to buy a powermac g5 dual 2ghz 4-8 gbs ram but i have some questions before i do. i dont know if there is another forum i should have looked at first so if there is please post a link to that one.

first off i am wanting to dual boot xp via bootcamp because i play games(l4d, css, fc2) that are not compatible with os x. my only concern about that is the video card. i have done some research and they best video card i can install in this wont meet my requirements. so i was wondering if i could install a second videocard that is compatible with windows xp and then just use that one for my games such as an geforce 9800 GTX and then run xp off a different monitor. is this possible? and if so what would i have to do to get that to work.
and i believe the best video card i can get for a g5 is a geforce 7800. please correct me if i am wrong.

thank you for reading my post and i am open to any ideas. i really love macs just not their compatibility with windows games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Without highjacking the OP's question, Bootcamp is Intel only so will not work on a PPC machine. If you want to run games look for a windows laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There must be something about the 2.3 Dual Cores!

Purchased from Melbourne, Australia, last week, and courier to Northern NSW and guess what? An empty box complete with polystyrene protective packaging arrived, no machine, keyboard, manual, system discs or anything blast it!

Paid insurance at 4% of cost now to battle with the insurance company I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
Hey All,

First post, first mac, but not a technology lightweight, so hopefully you guys can help me out.

Here's the situation: Ordered my first mac ever off of E-Bay. Power Mac G5 late 2005 with dual core 2.3ghz, etc etc. Great price, very excited. Bad news, Fed Ex dropped it and the thing won't turn on.(and no insurance so no dice on the claim.. :( ) No lights on the front panel when the power button is pressed, no fans, no drives spinning. Disassembled and tested the power supply, 5V coming out of the appropriate pins. So power is good. No signs of wear and tear or damage to the logic board, and the CPU and heat sink seemed to be mounted correctly. I take a look at the front panel board and notice during tear down that one of the posts that it attaches itself (via two black screws) to the logic board has been separated from the board. The impact was on the bottom of the case from the front so this may have been the casualty. Is there a way that the front panel board is damaged to a point where it will not start the computer? Or is it a necessity that the logic board connecting post be physically attached to the logic board. I have pictures of both if necessary. To the untrained eye they seem reasonably fine. Some signs of trauma around the openings for the screws on the front panel board, but other than that not horrible looking.

OK, thanks for reading my ramblings. Any info would be much appreciated. Especially a way that I might test the front panel board to ensure it is the problem, or anything that leads to my power mac becoming more than just a paperweight worth over $500.

Thanks so much,
Sean

Okay here is the skinny, I know this for a fact based on speaking to live people prior to selling on ebay. The buyer is "not" required to purchase insurance on an item but the seller is "solely responsible for insuring the item for the full amount no matter what". the seller is fully responsible for the item until good feedback is left or 45 days passes which ever comes first. I have verified this intentionally to cover all ends due to the expenses incurred with selling. I would certainly call ebay and speak to them and open a dispute immediately, and can assure you the seller would have no choice but to refund your payment and pay for return shipping. Insurance is optional even if stated in the auction that it is mandatory. The seller will offer insurance in hopes that the buyer will cover not having to take it out of pocket, which is in all fairness, but why would the seller tell you this. If you knew you did not have to, and that the seller is responsible, nobody would. It is certainly in the fine print that nobody has the patients to read through, I a victim myself. But as becoming a seller and starting from ground up, yes, you walk a very fine line to become established. Think about this, free shipping never offers insurance.......... I will always insure no matter what the circumstances. Good luck and hope you pursue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.