My MBP 15.4" was stolen today

Reaction score
Someone grabbed my computer bag out of the back seat of my car today.

If you see a Mac Book Pro 15.4" for sale without boxes or something else suspicious, PM me please! Long-shot, I know.

It was stolen in Denver, but could show up on ebay/craigslist anywhere I'd guess.

God help them if I find out who it is. :Angry:

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss. Check and see if your covered, usually home owners insurance covers stuff stolen out of a car.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm probably covered through work.

Jut a lesson to be learned, though....

- backup all your stuff
- password protect everything you can
- encrypt what you can

Losing a $2k laptop is bad enough. Thinking of the thousands of emails and personal data that's on there is horrific.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Unibody 15.4 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 250 GB HD
Sorry to hear that man...I don't know what I'd do if that happens

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Was your car doors locked at all?

Kind of reminds of a scene I saw where this guy left his car unlocked and then found a bum sitting in the back seat of his car after he came out from the video store.

I was in my car waiting for my girlfriend to get off of work. Typing away on my Macbook. I then heard a whole line of profanity at the top of the guys lungs. Yelling and screaming at the bum to get out of his car.

Sorry big tangent. >_<"

OP
C
Reaction score
I was parked at a bank, went in for 10 minutes or so, came back out, went home, and realized it was missing.

It is possible that the car wasn't locked while I was in the bank - I walked away, hit the remote door lock, and assumed (!) it locked. I think I left the windows slightly open to keep the car cool as well. There might have been enough room to reach an arm in there and open the door.

I didn't even notice it gone until I got home, looked in the back seat, didn't find it, checked the trunk... didn't find it.... went back to my office, didn't find it...

Retraced my steps and recall walking out to my car at my office with the computer and street sweepers were coming down the street, and kicking up a dusty mess. My car was 2' from the street, so I quickly opened the rear door, put the laptop in the back, hopped in the front, and got out of the way of the street sweepers.

Lesson learned.... laptop ALWAYS goes into the trunk.

It's a sinking feeling when you realize it's gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If it was a bank, don't they have cameras monitoring every inch of that place?
It kind of reminds my of my cousins fiance. He had an HP laptop in the back seat of his brand new acura tl. They broke his window to steal it to only find out that the laptop was broken...suckers

I will keep my out on ebay and CG since I'm on there looking for a macbook for my dad. I take it you had thee version prior to the unibody?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks - yea - keep an eye out, please! I'm happy to provide a reward for somebody that can get it back to me.

I called the bank and talked to the guard in the lobby and he said there are no cameras in the lot.

I'm not yet in the mood for humor, but in time, I think I'll find it funny that the guard was sitting at his podium in the lobby surfing his laptop while my laptop was getting jacked less than 50 feet from him.

Or the other funny thing when I called the Denver Police and the dispatcher recommended I fill out a police report on-line. On-line. Yea. My computer just got stolen, so let me hop on-line with my calculator or typewriter and fill out that report.

I might try the bait tactic like the guy with the TL. Put this POS Dell laptop in the back seat and wait in the bushes with an M16 and wait for the scumbag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Thanks - yea - keep an eye out, please! I'm happy to provide a reward for somebody that can get it back to me.

I called the bank and talked to the guard in the lobby and he said there are no cameras in the lot.

I'm not yet in the mood for humor, but in time, I think I'll find it funny that the guard was sitting at his podium in the lobby surfing his laptop while my laptop was getting jacked less than 50 feet from him.

Or the other funny thing when I called the Denver Police and the dispatcher recommended I fill out a police report on-line. On-line. Yea. My computer just got stolen, so let me hop on-line with my calculator or typewriter and fill out that report.

I might try the bait tactic like the guy with the TL. Put this POS Dell laptop in the back seat and wait in the bushes with an M16 and wait for the scumbag.

Thanks for a good laugh:D

Can't apple track where your computer since it is registered under your name? I always etch all the parts(from the inside) with my name and contact info and always copy the serial number. That has helped me twice now!

What kind of bag and what color was it?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for a good laugh:D

Can't apple track where your computer since it is registered under your name? I always etch all the parts(from the inside) with my name and contact info and always copy the serial number. That has helped me twice now!

What kind of bag and what color was it?

I think Apple will only do something if it comes in for repair, so I need to contact them as soon as I get the serial number - hopefully, it's on the box somewhere.

It was a Targus messenger bag with orange trim and orange rubberized "bump" things on the bottom.

51XD9XXKHZL._AA280_.jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
I'll check that out, but mine was in my possession up until 3:15 pm on 5/22, so I don't think that's the one. Thanks though!

Calling pawn shops this morning....

OP
C
Reaction score
So I call a pawn shop in the area that it was stolen and....

me: "do you come across many laptops?"
Pawn shop: "yes"
me: "I had one lost or stolen yesterday and wanted to check stock of your stores"
Pawn shop: "was it a silver MacBook?"
me: "uhhh. Yea. How'd you know?"
pawn shop: "we had one come in yesterday"

I have to go find my serial number and call her back and she can verify if it is or isn't mine!!!!

Please, everyone, cross your fingers, pray, etc.!!!! I can't get to my office until after some soccer games with the kids, but I pray that this is mine!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Good luck!! I hope you find your precious MBP!

ebay insertion dates can be altered to whatever you want...so it might look like they inserted it before yours was stolen but it actually wasn't...it's a technique to make people think it's not theirs. Ebay tips has lot's of info...LOL

Reaction score
That really sucks man. I know exactly how you feel. My Blackbook got stolen from me right out of my dorm last year April just 2 days before I was leaving university for summer. I was mad, distressed and every other feeling you're probably feeling. Mine cost about $1700 CDN and I only had it since September '07. I really hope you find it because I never found mine. I'm getting a unibody one in September and I'm not letting it out of my sight and will probably leave it in my dorm behind locked doors this time around.

OP
C
Reaction score
Darn! No such luck.

Called the pawn shop and they have a different one. I added the serial to the police report, so I hope they can find it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Darn! No such luck.

Called the pawn shop and they have a different one. I added the serial to the police report, so I hope they can find it.

Well at least you know you aren't the only one that it happened to.

I seriously hope that they catch the person that did it too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Would you possibly mind posting your serial number? or at least some of the last ones

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.