Phantom Cursor on my MacBook

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am only slightly exaggerating. My Macbook cursor is going crazy! Ever since I got back from vacation (a week) and didn’t use it, the cursor on my Mac is doing whatever it wants to do. I’ll be typing away and suddenly the curor will move to some random place on the document and my typing will end up there, so I have to waste time deleting letters I didn’t mean to type there. Or even better, it will move and highlight a word or phrase (or a whole paragraph) and before I know it, since I’m a fast typist, the whole thing will be deleted!

It’s taken me 10 minutes to type this message because the thing keeps moving and deleting stuff. Where it ends up is totally random.

At first I thought it might be the new mini-mouse that I bought while on vacation and connected to my computer, but when I disconnect the mouse and use the mouse pad, the same thing happens.
I’ve had this Mac for probably 2-3 years (maybe even longer) so is it just time to get a new one? Or is my Mac tryng to get back at me for not using it for 2 weeks?

One thing I noticed now is that when the cursor moves, it seems to move wherever the mouse is placed. For example, if I put the cursor on a specific place on a Word document and then move the mouse aside so I can see what I’m typing, a few seconds later the cursor will appear in the place where I moved the mouse.

Please help!!!

Rotem

Reaction score
Phantom Cursor on my MacBook too!

hi,

I see you posted your post back in May, but I am having the same problem (cursor randomly moving to somewhere else on the page while typing; sometimes deleting sections)... it's VERY annoying!! I can't find anything online that explains this and I came across your post... did you find the answer (or better yet, a solution!) to this problem? If so, please share!

My macbook is running on 10.4 (I believe... is that Tiger?) and I've had it for 2.5 yrs.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.