AC Adaptor Question

Reaction score
Earlier this week my puppy chewed through the chord of my AC Adaptor. I purchased my mbp from Best Buy and dished out an extra $400 for their warranty. So they're replacing it for me for free because of the warranty. After THREE days of having to deal with people in the store, on the phone, and e-mail, I finally got them to send me out an adaptor.

First they tried to send out a 60w "Energy Star" adaptor. But my mpb came with a 85w adaptor, so I contacted them and told them they didn't send me the right one. So now they're sending me both and told me that "The 60-watt adapter is merely an updated "Energy Star" adapter for your Macbook Pro and it is meant to conserve energy. It would still charge the battery but without using quite so much power and without risk of overheating."

But I couldn't find anything out about Macbook Pro's using any sort of 60w adaptor.

So my question is, would this 60w "Energy Star" adaptor work? It's supposed to arrive sometime today, so I haven't seen it yet. If it will work the same as the 85w adaptor, I'll use it because I've been without a laptop for almost a week and I need to get things done on it. The 85w one won't be here for almost another week. And they want me to call and set up to return whichever one I don't want or they'll charge me for it, so more hassle for me. (I'm beginning to think Best Buy is more hassle than they're worth).

So if anyone could offer some insight on my predicament, I'd greatly appreciate it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Depending on the Best Buy store you're dealing with, they can either be real good or difficult. It does sound to me like someone is trying to blow some smoke your way (no pun intended). The 85W adaptor was designed for your MBP. The 60W adaptor may work but I suspect will not last very long and may actually cause problems if you should decided to keep it.

You should have complained directly to the store manager and asked them to give you a 85W adaptor on loan until they received a new one from Apple to replace yours.

I don't know if you're familiar with how Best Buy administers the warranty they sell for Apple computers - unless it's something simple, they almost always send out the machine to be repaired elsewhere, either to Apple direct or an authorized Apple service location. That usually means you're without a machine for a considerable length of time.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.