[Macbook Pro 17"] Hard drive connection to Logicboard

Reaction score
Heya,

My profuse apologies if this has already been posted, but there are ~669 pages to trawl through.

I have been attempting to repair my friends Macbook Pro. The right hand fan does not work and the machine gets so hot that side you could cook an egg on it. The important thing here though is that it did work and power up.

After dissembling the machine and even with the greatest of care the clip that connects the harddrive ribbon cable to the logic board has come off (it is still attached in the end of the ribbon cable).

Has anyone successfully resoldered this back onto the logic board? It looks a very fiddly job (what on earth possesed Apple to make a connector that small) but I think it could be done. Was just wondering if anyone had any advice on doing it?

The other issue is that it appears the GPU has got so hot in time that the whole processor is tained with heat marks and the processor goop was baked solid to the Chips. I have managed to get it all off though but I am hoping it hasn't been fried.

At the moment, all back together but without the HD plugged to the logic board, the machine will power on, the dvd drive makes some whirring nioses, the light on the front flashes, but no screen. I am hoping this is simply because the HD is not connected to the board and not indemic of a further issue caused by me taking it apart. :s

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.