anti virus mistake?

dls

Reaction score
my computer was running weird (safari not opening properly and getting the rainbow wheel constantly and having to do force quits...(
my kids have been on it so i thought i better run an anti virus checker. stupidly i downloaded one without reading about it. I downloaded ClamXav...
i've then read that it can use all your cpu and make your computer run even slower. now i'm worried i've made the situation worse...

how do I completely and safely remove ClamXav?

and what is a good free online virus checkers for mac?

i'm fairly new to Macs - i used to use trend micro's online virus checker for my PC...

Thanks in advance for your help...

newbie :| macmum

OP
D

dls

Reaction score
my computer was running weird (safari not opening properly and getting the rainbow wheel constantly and having to do force quits...(
my kids have been on it so i thought i better run an anti virus checker. stupidly i downloaded one without reading about it. I downloaded ClamXav...
i've then read that it can use all your cpu and make your computer run even slower. now i'm worried i've made the situation worse...

how do I completely and safely remove ClamXav?

and what is a good free online virus checkers for mac?

i'm fairly new to Macs - i used to use trend micro's online virus checker for my PC...

Thanks in advance for your help...

newbie :| macmum

OP
D

dls

Reaction score
also i was wondering, if clamxav is a good checker for trojans and the like, how do i use it? lol
it said to put some information in the box of what I wanted to check, but i can't figure out how or what to put in there... i just want a scan of my computer to check for trojans, key loggers, etc...

help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Eric, relax! Sometimes double posts happen by accident. A mod will take care of it.

That's very strange. I was recommended to ClamXav. I thought it was good. No?

OP
D

dls

Reaction score
thanks

i'll check out that faq - i tried using the search engine but didn't find anything specifically about this problem, but i'll see what I can find in the faq.

and you are correct Ipod Nano, the double post happened because of a lag or something on my machine and when i refreshed it came up the second time i hit submit reply again. Then when i refreshed the page it still came up with only one post but now (an hour later) it shows two! i have no idea what happened there! lol

sorry Eric if double posting annoyed you, it certainly wasn't intentional!

also Ipod Nano, i'm not sure if it's good or not - i started to get panicky after i read the page that said it was dodgy but since then i've found heaps of good reviews... so confusing!

anyway, i'll see what's going on - part of the problem is my two boys (11 and 5) sometimes are allowed on my computer and they sometimes download stuff even though they aren't supposed to. the little one just clicks away like a monkey...

pc's seem to get virus and spyware all the time, but are macs less likely to have this problem? i've just noticed i get the rainbow wheel thing regularly now and i've only had the computer for a few months...

anyway i'll check out that page...
thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Check out that FAQ and download MainMenu like I suggested and see if that helps you out. Permissions can get changed and all that stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
dls - time to set up a user for your boys and keep them in a controlled area, that way if it gets dodgy you can delete their user and set them up another. Also gives control to you - no new password until XXXX is done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Also if you want to splash $10 and get some pointers i have this guide.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.