Another hard drive removal issue!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kooBcaM 13"
Second computer in as many days that I can not remove a hard drive from! This time it is a 2.2ghz black macbook. I recently put a new hard drive in and want to remove it- I pull on the pull tab (with a lot of force) and it only comes out a bit- it seems that it is somehow off the rails- is that possible? Does anybody have any ways that they think would remove it?

THanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We call that being "snake bit" here in Texas. :(

As for the hard drive removal.... Once the metal RF shield is removed exposing the HD pull tab (and memory module ejectors), there's nothing else holding the drive in place. The drive is attached to the SATA connector. The pull tab is there so you can get a grip on the drive to remove it.

It could be that the guides which keep the drive aligned as you pull it away or insert it to the connector have come loose. May have happened when you put the new drive in. It's possible one of the guides is jammed between the drive preventing it from being removed. Can you tilt the machine upward and shine a light around the drive and see anything?

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kooBcaM 13"
"It's possible one of the guides is jammed between the drive preventing it from being removed."

Thats exactly what it is. I am at a loss- I have no idea what to do. I sent it to a Mac tech lets see what he can do. Only issue is he's charging me 15 bucks for the job which kind of sucks!

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you get away with only paying $15.00 I would be surprised. Considering that he will probably have to remove the bottom assembly to pull away the shell in order to get at the guides, the labor charges could wind up being much more. Make sure you get an estimate of the repairs before you give him the go ahead.

Regards.

Reaction score
On a BlackBook, all that needs to be done is removal of the top case. (keyboard/touchpad tray) Once that is off the drive will be easy to remove.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.