• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Authoring software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi all,

I'm looking for some dvd authoring software, and I'm having a hard time =(.

Here's the deal:

I searched the forums and I didn't see any real discussion on it since back in '07 - I'm hoping there are more options now =)

I have idvd '08, but I want something more customizable and more flexible.

I have used DVDLab Pro and Adobe Encore DVD on windows, and I would really like something similar in capability that won't break the bank (I can't afford FCP, so Apples high end dvd authoring is out of the question since AFAiK it's only available with final cut studio).

I'd prefer to stay in OSX if possible rather then dual boot to author from my video exports.

Any tips would be most appreciated!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hiyas cwa107, I thought about that, but toast seems to be even more simplistic then idvd =(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hiyas cwa107, I thought about that, but toast seems to be even more simplistic then idvd =(

Hmmm... Toast is roughly analogous to Easy Media Creator on Windows, which is pretty well respected for DVD authoring. What was it that you were using previously?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Look at Adobe, whose product also does Blue-Ray.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was using DVDLab Pro (DVDlab DVD authoring tool) on my home system, and Adobe Encore DVD at work.

Unfortunately, Encore seems to only be included in either the creative suites or with premiere CS4 - both out of my pricerange =(

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DVD studio pro is only available as a portion of Final Cut Studio... I don't have the money to obtain FCS =(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You could keep an eye out for a used copy of DVD Studio Pro. It used to sell as an independent title.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you know off hand what kind of differences there are between the old independent title and the current version? (compatibility, capability, etc?) or know where I might be able to see a side by side?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not a 100% sure, but I think that the last independent version is the same one in the current Final Cut Studio. Well the major version number, 4.

Reaction score
Newest version is 4.5, we trainers had to get totally re-certified for it, Apple thought it was that important. DVSP has newer features and is way more stable than the last independent version, which was pre-FCS1, a few years ago. Most pro-level DVD authoring software is going to be bundled in an NLE package. But, why not use iDVD? It does a great job. But if you want to do scripting, Stories, higher functions, you're going to have to pay for it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iDVD is just a bit more strict then I want. I'm limited on encoding capability, it seems the menus force you to start with a theme then hack it up (instead of starting with a blank menu and working up), the limitation on chapters only being made at X increments rather then where you want them (for example, if I have 4 speakers, and I want a chapter marker for each speaker, but they aren't at equal intervals, idvd fails)

I figure I'll just do one of a couple things:

1) fusion boot into xp and use dvdlab pro which I know gives me the tools I need (and I already own a license to, was just trying to avoid using fusion if I could)

2) pay for a license for moviegate (which is ok - it's a bit more capable than iDVD due to its level of customization, but no where near the level of DVDLab Pro, Encore or DVD Studio)

I wish I could afford FCP to get the latest DVD Studio, I'll just have to save up for it later.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For chapter markers, I set mine in the editor and export with the markers intact for iDVD to use. I really don't understand why Apple hasn't placed better chapter control into iDVD. That sucks.

You are right about the rest. iDVD is a simple tool for the consumer. For anyone with more serious needs another tool is required.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't know that iDVD would take an export with chapter markers in place and use them.

It would be nice if iDVD was a bit more capable. I'm not talking DVDSTudio Pro capable, but more like a merging of iDVD and moviegate which would provide a significantly more capable product for users who either are transitioning and haven't been able to afford FCP (like me) or people who just don't need FCP but want more then iDVD.

Oh well, beggars can't be choosers...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.