Time Capsule IP Address Configuration

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently purchased a 1GB Time Capsule. It will replace a wireless router that vends IP addresses on the 10.30.50.0 network. However, it appears that Time Capsule can only be configured for networks within the 10.0.0.0/16 space. This is, you can't change the second octet! Is this correct? Didn't they read RFC 1918?

If true, I'll have to re-IP about 10 IP addressable devices in my house, which really bites. Before you ask, those devices are configured with static IPs for a wide variety of excellent reasons, thankyouverymuch.

Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
my airport extreme (as far as I know the time capsule is identical, with a hard drive) is configured for a /24, that being that my subnetmask is 255.255.255.0

oh and static IP's sure do have legitimate purposes :)

ohhh while I'm thinking about it, if you didn't do Manual Setup.. you definitely should :D

OP
B
Reaction score
my airport extreme (as far as I know the time capsule is identical, with a hard drive) is configured for a /24, that being that my subnetmask is 255.255.255.0
Thanks for your response. My wish is to configure the Time Capsule for the 10.30.50.0/24 network. This does not appear to be possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should be, are you going into Airport Utility > Manual Setup? Then Internet.. should look just like this.

20090520-9shrwgc8cfs6h4ugprbbbbhxf.jpg

OP
B
Reaction score
How cool that you would actually create and upload a screenshot to try and help me. From that same utility, I have a "DHCP" tab next to "Internet Connection". When I pull down the "beginning address" for the 10 network, I can't have any clients on anything but the 10.0 network. You can't configure the second octet. It looks like a programming convenience for Apple.

Skitch, eh? Let's download that app and try to host a screenshot...

20090521-nk2a51rcwe2hihax6i6jaht53i.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's very odd....

Anyone seen that? Cause this is what mine looks like.

20090521-8ft7keq9ffais39d3f8u8cenaf.jpg

What firmware is yours? Mines 7.4.1 (or build 74100.25)

OP
B
Reaction score
My Time Capsule is also using 7.4.1.

What's interesting (to me) is that they almost got it right. You shouldn't be able to configure the second octet for the other RF1918 ranges. But limiting net 10 is wrong. Here's the pull down:
20090522-mces2n38u4ydhxm8i4wxn5111w.preview.jpg

I see this a quick (but dumb) engineering decision. To do it right, they'd have to create a another field, which would sometimes be available, sometimes not. This way, you always have to enter a value for the third and fourth octets, only. I'm guessing the reason our screens aren't the same is that I'm setup for PPPoE, and you are setup for a direct Ethernet connection, static, and the options change when you do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
right, mine is behind a router.. well and a hw firewall.. but my pix score is another matter entirely :D

OP
B
Reaction score
Are you using a Cisco Pix to vend DHCP to the wireless clients? I hadn't thought of doing that. I do have a spare 501, and I could use it do PPPoE to the ISP, and DHCP for clients.... but will client DHCP requests pass through my Time Capsule so they can be serviced by the Pix?

Reaction score
Time Capsule gives itself unusable IP Address

I’ve been trying to set up a ITB second generation Time Capsule I’ve got from a friend to replace a 500GB TC I’ve had since 2008, which works fine as a WiFi router for my iMac and Macbook but has broken down as a backup HD. The new TC has WiFi connection to my Macs, but can’t connect to the internet because, Airport Utility says, its IP Address (given to itself in automatic setup) is wrong

To solve the problem I’ve gone to Airport Utility>Manual Setup>Internet>TCP/IP, and changed from Using DHCP to Manually. But once there, I don’t know what IP Address to put in.

I see that Dysfunction has put up a screen shot of the figures for IP Address, Subnet Mask and Router Address that he has on the Internet Connection page - which are quite different from the figures in the same slots for the TC I’ve just set up. Should I use the figures Dysfunction has?

I’ve compared the data on this page with what’s on the same page when I have my older TC connected, and the figures for IP Address, Subnet Mask and Router Address that the new TC has given itself in the course of automatic set-up are each very different from what they are in the case of the older TC. Should I note down these figures from the older TC and put them in as settings for the new one? If yes, could this mean that if for some reason I have to use the old TC again as a router, it won’t work? And if not, and I shouldn’t use Dysfunction’s figures either, where do I find the right figures to put in as settings for my new TC?

Will be really very grateful for help.

Reaction score
No internet connection on Time Capsule

Further to my previous post - I’ve found the IP address to put in (same as in my old Time Capsule, of course, and I now understand why, and why my previous questions on this were foolish) but am still not out of the woods. Although, with the new IP address in, when I start up the new Time Capsule its light, fist amber, turns green, as it is also on its ikon when I go to Airport Utility, I have no connection to the internet. When I go to Network Preferences>Assist me>Diagnostics, under Network Status the buttons AirPort, Airport Settings, Network Settings and ISP, are green, but Internet and Server come up amber and then turn red. Can anybody advise me what to do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.