totaly new and needing advice re OS upgrade :)

Reaction score
hi there.
i bought my first Mac from ebay - a green clamshell ibook, 366, running os 9.2 with the origional 64mb ram which i upgraded to 320, 10gb HD. was a bit of a bargain at £70 (i think) i bought it as my children are using ibooks at school and would really like them to be able to do practice at home - also i have always been curious about Macs!!
my question is...... bearing in mind i know nothing of Mac's . . . how do i go about upgrading the OS???? i have bought an upgrade disk for OS 10.2 which i am just waiting on delivery of. my question may sound stupid but how do i go about installing it??? can i simply put the disk in and away i go or do i need to format the hard drive first... in which case .... how is that done??????

feeling bit daft asking these basic questions. :Blushing:

any help would be more than appreciated guys.

thanx, Troodster

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Mac hardware has had many changes since those units came out. Later G3 iBooks will run OS 10.3 and 10.4 happily but not 10.5. Certainly iBook clamshell will be good for kids to play games on and learn but for on line stuff i would try for a G4 and 10.3 or better. You probably can add 10.2 to that clamshell but not sure how it would be done unless it had a firewire connector. Seem to recall some of those had a firewire some didn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It's easy. Put the CD in, hold down C to boot up from the CD. Choose 'erase and install' when the option appears and then you're away.

OP
T
Reaction score
thanx

hiya,
thanx for all the quick replies to my plea! as soon as the disk arrives i shall give it a bash and let you know how i get on!

thanx again :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The CD should list the specifications your computer should have. Just make sure you look for them before you start installing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.