Not happy with Apple Computers Inc.

D

DCyamaha

To make a long story short, I am brand new to Macs. I had been comfortable with using PCs but I've become frustrated with windows so I decided to switch. Anyway, I ordered an iMac G5 about two weeks ago and the order status initially stated it would ship in 5-7 days because I had upgraded the RAM to 512mg. Well it didn't ship and they pushed the date back. Now I come to find out its been moved AGAIN!

I heard about superior customer service, support and products from apple, but now i'm not so sure. I called customer service and they were of little help. They didn't even have a reason for the continuous delays.

I wish my apple experience started way better than this :eek:neye:

PS: this is my first post, sorry about the rant. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
This is common. It happened when I ordered my iMac in november. This usually happens because they end up having a shortage of parts when they make your computer and have to wait for something to come in (In your case probably the ram). It ended up shipping 5 days earlier than what they had said after the pushed it back

OP
D

DCyamaha

A shortage of parts! Sounds like you are spot on, but customer service doesn't even know what the issue is. Good thing they don't have more customers otherwise we'd NEVER get our computers.

I even wrote an e-mail to apple complaining, but i guess nothing will be done about their poor service (in this case anyway). However, they did give me free overnight shipping once my Mac is ready. But still, its going to be three weeks when they said it would take one.

I dont think i'm being overly picky here, Dell would have had their computer out to me in 3 days i'm sure. I know this because i've ordered many a dell computers, and they are very punctual with their shipping. This is **** frustrating.

moz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 ibook 1.33, 512 ram, 80gig hd, bluetooth and airport
same with my ibook the customer service agent said it takes and extra 3 days to insert the ram (how true that statement is i dont know)?? i do believe trained chimps could do it faster!!
i then had problems with TNT saying someone had knocked but no one answered(i had taken the day off to play with my new toy:)

the main thing is i have it now and i am more than impressed and glad i bought it!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
if the DC in your name is an indicator of where you live, isnt there an apple store or a compusa near you so you can go get it there?

OP
D

DCyamaha

YES! there is a store only 15 minutes from where I work, however, the store charges $150.00 for the 512 ram. The online store only costs $75. The store at the mall says that they have to charge me for the full amount of the ram (in essance i'm buying a 256 chip and a 512 chip) which is why it costs more. At the online store, i'm ONLY buying the 512 chip. Make sense?

OP
D

DCyamaha

oh yeah, and i get the free epson printer (after mail in rebate) when you buy online.

OP
A

Advert25

actually they are offering the free printer in-store as well...I spoke with a sales agent yesterday about it at the MAC store at South Coast Plaza CA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
For future reference to other buyers:

If you are buying a "stock" configuration (as shown at store.apple.com) with the exception of memory, buy the memory elsewhere and install it yourself. It will be cheaper and you'll get your machine faster.

Additionally, if you're putting in a larger hard drive or changing the optical (super/combo) drive, the unit will have to come from the factory in Taiwan and there will be delays.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Really. Just cancel your order from Apple, buy a stock system from the Apple Store, buy some memory from Crucial and install it yourself. Memory installation is easy, and an extra 512 from Crucial is going for $68.99 with free shipping. You'd end up with 768MB of RAM at a lower price and have your computer today.

Memory installation instructions from Apple:

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/imacg5/B033-2496.pdf

iMac memory from Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...RAM&model=iMac+(G5-1.8GHz,+17-inch)&submit=Go

OP
D

DCyamaha

dan828 said:
Really. Just cancel your order from Apple, buy a stock system from the Apple Store, buy some memory from Crucial and install it yourself. Memory installation is easy, and an extra 512 from Crucial is going for $68.99 with free shipping. You'd end up with 768MB of RAM at a lower price and have your computer today.

Memory installation instructions from Apple:

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/imacg5/B033-2496.pdf

iMac memory from Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...RAM&model=iMac+(G5-1.8GHz,+17-inch)&submit=Go

Man, If I had known this earlier, it would have been set up in time for my wife's birthday. Thanks so much for your input!! But at this point, I may as well just wait another week since I have already received the printer.

Question, the iMac appears to have two slots for memory. If i were to buy another 512 from crucial, and put that in the second slot along with the original 512 I bought from apple in the first slot, will that act exactly as if I had bought a 1 gig RAM chip?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am pretty sure (could be wrong) that it will outperform the single 1gb chip by a bit. Reason being is that with two sticks the computer can access memory from both of them at the same time and have a distribution of information. With one chip it is all in one memory bank. The advantage of a single 1gb chip is if you plan to up to 2gb then its just inserting another chip instead of buying two 1gb chips

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
trpnmonkey41 said:
I am pretty sure (could be wrong) that it will outperform the single 1gb chip by a bit. Reason being is that with two sticks the computer can access memory from both of them at the same time and have a distribution of information. With one chip it is all in one memory bank. The advantage of a single 1gb chip is if you plan to up to 2gb then its just inserting another chip instead of buying two 1gb chips

Assuming that the two modules use the same-density components, this is true. At least in theory.
http://developer.apple.com/document.../apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001433-CH208-TPXREF109

Some tests have suggested that there is no real-world difference.

Reaction score
Yes, the chips have to be exactly the same to have any speed boost and their has been different reports on weather it actually helps. :cool:

Hope your Mac comes soon, it will be worth the wait.

Reaction score
oh and by the way, sometimes it's not apple's fault for slow shipping, it sometimes is the carrier...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
When I ordered my iMac from my local Apple store my estimated ship time was two weeks, but I actually recieved my 'puter in about a week, so hopefully that is the case with you as well. Regarding RAM; my iMac came with a 512 stick of Samsung RAM and I was able to find an identicle stick of 512 Samsung RAM from NewEgg.com for <$70, so it's not like Apple uses special propriatery RAM or anything. Get it elsewhere and save yourslef some money.

-Chris

OP
J

Jordan

Yeah, I had a similar problem with the shipping times of my iBook. The Apple people were useless and I was really pissed about the whole situation as I needed the computer in the time that they said they could get it to me. If I could have done it again, I would have just bought from the Apple store here and paid the 'German Premium'.

I love my iBook but based on my experience with Apple, I don't know why people have so much respect for their customer support. Maybe I have just had a couple of bad cases and this may not be the norm. Time will tell.

OP
C

crazycanadian

i learned my lesson the hard way, wanted the new mac mini, bought it online with the 512 ram upgrade. now apple tells me a week a ago it will ship on or before the 10th and i called again today and its back to the 21st. i cant wait too much longer.....plus their service representatives arent much help either......

Reaction score
I ordered a PowerMac G5 1.8 Ghz (1 MB, no superdrive) on Wednesday and I received an email that it has shipped along
with a FedEx tracking number. I did take my apple.com quote to
the local MacEdge store but they couldn't meet the price as this
machine has an Educational Discount and the local stores can
not do Educational Discounts. The guy at the store said that he
would love to do them but Apple keeps that business for
themselves. One thing is that they haven't done anything to
verify the status other than requiring an "I agree" click. The
discount was 10% which was better than our company discount
of 7%.

The last time I owned a Mac was in the mid-1980s. I did play
with a Lisa a long time ago as my business partner was
doing development work on it.

This particular machine is going to our son and I'm going to
have him do some development on it with regards to the
Firefox browser. I'd like him to port some Intel vector code
to Altivec just to get an idea of how Altivec compares to
SSE2. I read some of the architecture documents and it's
clear that the G5 is a RISC machine and that there will be
quite a few differences with x86.

I haven't played around heavily with RISC architectures since
doing porting work on Alphas many years ago.

My personal machine is a Compaq r3000z notebook with a
2.0 Ghz Athlon 64 chip which has about a 3.2 Ghz Pentium
4 rating. This thing can be overclocked by 12% for added
performance. It can also be underclocked to 400 Mhz to
enhance battery life. It's a 15.4 inch notebook which I think
is an ideal size for a Desktop Replacement notebook.

At any rate, my question here is where do they ship
PowerMacs from? The estimated delivery date is next Friday
so I'm guessing California. There was an option for very
fast delivery so I assume that these things are built in the
US.

OP
M

meltbanana314

mmoy said:
At any rate, my question here is where do they ship
PowerMacs from? The estimated delivery date is next Friday
so I'm guessing California. There was an option for very
fast delivery so I assume that these things are built in the
US.

They're built in China. The main shipping facility is in Shanghai.

Last I heard, Shanghai was not a part of California.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.