iBook...or...PowerBook??

O

Oz10

I'm SOOOOO confused, I dunno wut to get...I'm 16, and need a labtop, for just like homework, chatting, and internet...I'm not paying for it, so like 100 or 200 more isnt that big a deal...I was thinking bout getting the 12" iBook, but now I seen the PowerBook...and I'm just confused...I guess all Mac comps are that good...I asked my dad if I could get both, but...na...so now I have to choose between the 2...my chouces are...
(PowerBook)
• 1GHz PowerPC G4
• 256MB DDR266 (256MB built-in)
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200rpm
• SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• 12.1-inch TFT Display

or

(iBook)
• 900MHz G3
• 256MB SDRAM (128MB built-in & 128MB SO-DIMM)
• 60GB Ultra ATA drive
• DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
• ATI Mobility RADEON 7500 w/ 32MB DDR video memory
• Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 included
• 12.1-inch TFT XGA display

the price difference is like 7 bills...so if I want the PowerBook...I got some persuding to do...but if it's that much better of a Labtop, I will get that...What I like bout the PowerBook is the DVD-RW, and the 80GB HD...the rest of the labtops (except for Proccesor, and case) are pretty close...I'm not sure wut to get, can neone help??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Between those two? There is no competition, most definitely the powerbook.. the specs are way over the iBook.. PowerBook is a G4 instead of G3, it has another 100MHz, an extra 20GB of disk space, it has a Superdrive.. there really is no competition at all between those two! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
His Dad is paying for it.. and if he has a choice between those two..

If your Pops said.. here which one do you want.. Ill buy it for you.. which would you choose? :) I rest my case :)

Doh.. not His Dad, but your dad :) Ill take that post quite a bit differently then.. hmm.. I think it is personally.. I really love the PowerBook and the iBook just doesnt have enough power for my use.

If you don't think it's worth the money then don't get it. I do think it is worth the extra cash.. thus why I got a powerbook instead of an iBook :)

OP
O

Oz10

Do you think that in about 1-2months...that iBook, and PowerBook prices will go down...or that iBook will have DVD-R??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Usually the only time any prices go down are when they come out with new ones.. and it's only the old hardware prices that go down and not the new. They just released new Powerbooks so I doubt the old ones will go down any further for awhile. iBooks.. no idea on when they'll be updating those, but I think they just updated them not too long ago.

No idea on the DVD-R either. When you don't work for Apple you do not have access to that information, and even if you do.. you can't tell anyone :) So you're not going to find that stuff out until someone leaks it. You can go to http://www.macrumors.com and watch them.. they usually have pretty good insight on things.

You should visit Apples Refurbished items for even better deals:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...LbgH/0.0.7.1.0.5.13.0.3.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0?60,56

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Personally for what you're going to use it for, I would say go with the iBook. You have zero need for the extra power in the PowerBook unless you'll be doing some heavy design stuff. For internet, chatting, and e-mail as well as school work type stuff like running MS Office, the iBook will be just fine and you'll notice little if any difference between and iBook and Powerbook doing those same things. Go with the iBook and spend some extra money to max out the RAM...you won't be sorry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I'd also suggest that if you plan on maxing the RAM to 640, you purchase it from another vendor rather than from Apple. You'll pay roughly 50% of what Apple charges, and installing RAM into an iBook is a 5 minute job. If you really want/need the DVD-R feature, you could probably purchase an external DVD-R drive plus the extra RAM, and still spend less than the cost of the PowerBook. Plus, the iBook's software bundle is geared slightly more towards school use, which you may like. Can you tell I like iBooks? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feel very much left out in the cold with my love for the PowerBook :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Murlyn said:
I feel very much left out in the cold with my love for the PowerBook :)
Oh I didn't say I don't love the PB. I do love the PB ;). I just think for his use and analyzing the cost to benefit ratio, the iBook makes much better sense.

OP
O

Oz10

On the apple store, to go from 128MB, to 640...its $300...I saw some RAM (512 Peice) for lesss then $200...should I get the built in 128MB, and then max that?/

btw, the RAM I saw in teh ad was..."512 MB DDR 333 PC 270" is that compatable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Oz10 said:
On the apple store, to go from 128MB, to 640...its $300...I saw some RAM (512 Peice) for lesss then $200...should I get the built in 128MB, and then max that?/

btw, the RAM I saw in teh ad was..."512 MB DDR 333 PC 270" is that compatable?

As long as the rest of the computer has the features you want, then yes, I would simply get the standard 128 MB from Apple and purchase a 512 chip elsewhere and install it yourself. For an iBook, you'll want a PC 100 or PC 133 SO-DIMM, and you should be able to find a 512 MB chip for around $100.

OP
O

Oz10

what would happen if I put in the "333 PC 270"??...and I'm in Canada, so the $200, its prolly like $100 american...and wut is teh bigger size?? is tehre like a 872MB??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oz10 said:
what would happen if I put in the "333 PC 270"??...and I'm in Canada, so the $200, its prolly like $100 american...and wut is teh bigger size?? is tehre like a 872MB??

The RAM you buy must be compatible with the iBook, and the type you listed above is not. Maximum RAM for the iBook would be the onboard 128 MB + a 512 MB chip, or 640 total MB. I bought my RAM at MacSolutions, and I'm very happy with the product and service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
With the savings you make on an iBook you can also get an iPod :)

I was in exactly the same position as you a month and a bit ago - powerbook or iBook... I ended up getting a 14" ibook with 640mb ram and a 15gb iPod.

OP
H

hokiethang

tommy lee said:
Definitly Powerbook G4. And If you DO buy an iBook don't get the 600 mhz model. The Logic board is faulty.

600mhz ibooks are hard to find nowadays. Go spew your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

The Powerbook is a nicer machine and more powerful, but for what you were saying you would be using it for, the ibook would more than serve your needs. I only bought a powerbook for the altivec in the G4 as well as faster compliation of software. Surfing the internet and checking e-mail is definitely within the capability of the ibook. If you are looking to need the power in the future it would be well worth getting the powerbook, because your apple machine is going to last much longer than any PC, so I would say, get a Powerbook while you can, as you will have the power should you need it. You may not need the power now, but when you need it and dont have it, it is painful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
tommy lee said:
There's a reason they're hard to find...

its because they are on to bigger and better things

OP
T

Toniee

Hey, remeber your a student so you can get discounts from Apple.com/education/store.htm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" bmb, coreduo,2gb,80gb
u save like $200 :) i was configuring a 12" POWERbook for 1599 and then did the edu disocount and started out at 1399

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.