9800 gtx+ on a Mac Pro, possible?

Reaction score
Hello all, first things first, yes, i'm a newbie, yes, i've registered because i'm going INSANE , and yes, i've searched all over the internet, but haven't had good questions, so here goes !

I have a Mac Pro, 2008 version, and i have a graphics card, a xtx 9800 gtx+, i have bought some cables to give the gc the power it needs, so that's not the problem. However , when i boot up the mac, it doesn't show anything on the display. This is when put in the first pci-e16x port. Same thing when put in the second pci-e16x.

My stock gc, ATI HD2600, does not display anything when put in the second pci-e16x, but that's another thing.

I did read something about using kexts for the 8800, on the 9800 gtx, but i haven't found too much info on that.

So, to conclude ;

Is it possible to use a 9800 gtx+ graphics card in a mac pro? :)

Thanks in advance!

OP
R
Reaction score
So i installed NVDarwin 1.2.5, it did work, however, i can't get into the white apple screen, when i hold down for example, option. Is that normal?

I got the vc to work in slot 1, and put the ati one in slot 2. After i re-installed osx , because it gave me the error that i had to install it again ( which i don't get ) , i managed to install the bootcamp windows xp version. ( while still using slot 2 for the graphics.

After i booted up windows, i used the leopard install disc for the drivers, and i downloaded the 9800+ drivers for windows. Installed it, and after that, it gave me another, please restart etc.- error...

So now i'm re-installing mac osx for the 2nd time today :(, and after that i'm going to try and install windows again...Any tips?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.