Registering powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
I got my powerbook the new model `1.5 and had to open it in the can and didnt have internet to register and the file that it puts in documents is gone so how do I go about re registering the laptop again?

M

meltbanana314

You really don't have to register. Nothing happens if you don't (unlike the Windows world where Microsoft will shut you down for not registering.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
mdavis71 said:
the file that it puts in documents is gone

Can you explain what you mean by this? I'm not sure I follow.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
I bought my girlfriend a 14" iBook off of a guy on ebay and was wanting to know if I just re register it will it put it in her name? or do i need to call apple and do that?

M

meltbanana314

mdavis71 said:
I bought my girlfriend a 14" iBook off of a guy on ebay and was wanting to know if I just re register it will it put it in her name? or do i need to call apple and do that?

You can wipe the hard drive and do a fresh install of the operating system. No traces of the previous owner's files will be left. You do *not* need to call Apple. Registration is an entirely optional thing with Apple.

M

meltbanana314

thermidor said:
Can you explain what you mean by this? I'm not sure I follow.

When you first try to "register" an Apple computer and the computer can't find an open internet connection to send the data - it will create (what looks like) an alias to the registration program in your Documents folder that you can open to finish the registraton at a later time.

Most people just throw it in the trash. No worries.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.