G3 DV400 No Display Problem

Reaction score
Hey there,

i just got a iMac G3 DV400 Grape from one of my friends. (M5521 i think)

It had OS 9.2 on it, and i wanted to use it with tiger.

Before installing tiger, I replaced its 10gigs hard drive with a 40gigs hd. I've done this with the guide from Replace the Hard Drive on a G3 iMac (iMac G3 DV)

Anyway, after replacing the hard drive, I turned on the mac, heard the opening sound but... No display. HDD and the other things spin, but that's all.

I immediately put the old drive back on but no change. The situation remains the same.

Fyi, while changing the hdd, I unplugged the powercable.

Any opinions? Right now, the iMac is open. No display, I'm not sure if it's working but the CRT is not, or it's not just the display, also the whole system too. All i can hear is spinning hdd and the other little noises from the system.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early '08 MacBook 2.4Ghz 250g hd 4g ram Os 10.6; B&W G3 400mhz 120g hd 512mb ram Os 10.4
I've sometimes noticed that when I've changed something inside the my G3, it may not properly boot the first time afterward, so trying a couple of times may help. Also I usually try to remember to reset the pRam if I change anything. This is done by holding command, option, p, and r immediately after turning the machine on. Not that it would be a problem yet, but you may want to check the Tiger system requirements to make sure you have enough ram. I think you can max out the ram on a G3 (1gb) for around 30-40$ on eBay. Just a suggestion.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Make shure you pluged every thing in right and that the memory sticks are seatted. When you replace a hard drive you lose the firmwear for the Imac. The boot rom must be 4.1.9 before you install Ten.

OP
P
Reaction score
Make shure you pluged every thing in right and that the memory sticks are seatted. When you replace a hard drive you lose the firmwear for the Imac. The boot rom must be 4.1.9 before you install Ten.

Hey,

could the losing of firmware cause my problem?

if so, how can i add the 4.1.9 boot rom before installing tiger?

also,

resetting the pRam didn't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.