Stripped hard drive retaining screw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kooBcaM 13"
I just purchased a 320gb drive for my unibody macbook- i switched everything over to the new drive and was excited to do the transfer. I gently tried to unscrew the hard drive retaining screw and the screw was in there pretty tight and started to strip. I stopped after a few tries because I fear it will be impossible if I keep trying. Why is it in there so tight? Any ideas on how to safely remove it?

I thought of putting a rubber band between the screw and screwdriver (which is the correct size by the way) butthe screw may be too small for that trick.

Help me PLEASE!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's a tough one. The first thing I would try is a different screw driver, one size up. Make sure you apply enough force pushing into it that it won't slip and strip it worse. If you don't already have one, I would recommend a set of electronics bits (Radio Shack has a set under the "Kronus" brand name that is great for this). This way you can incrementally step up the size and experiment with different precision bits.

If you still can't get it out after experimenting with different bits and/or drivers, then you'll need to modify the head unfortunately. I wouldn't recommend using a rubber band as that will likely not provide enough friction and possibly make the damage worse.

Also, Craftsman (Sears tool brand) makes a handy set of bits called "screw out". They are specially designed to bite into a stripped head. I'm not sure if they make one small enough for this application, but it might be worth a look.

Finally, be aware that stripped screws will often generate some metallic dust or bits that fly loose. Be sure the area is kept as clear of this debris as possible as you don't want it to end up inside of the machine and causing a short.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kooBcaM 13"
Thanks I'll try that and cross my fingers. What happens if i strip it completely? Am I stuck at this HD capacity forever and ever?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks I'll try that and cross my fingers. What happens if i strip it completely? Am I stuck at this HD capacity forever and ever?

Well, if you strip it completely and the screw-out tool won't work, then you would need to modify the head to get a grip on the screw. That might be a tricky operation, but basically you would take a rotary tool (like a Dremel) with a fine cutting wheel and scribe a line through the diameter of the head. Make it just deep enough to fit a flat-tipped screw driver into and get it out that way.

I would not recommend you do this unless you are very handy and well versed in the procedure. Also, you would need to take precautions to keep any ground metal flakes from getting into the chassis.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Assuming you're referring to the one phillips screw which holds the hard drive retaining bracket in place... Do as cw107 advises. Also be careful removing the hard drive from the mounting\shield plate. I'm not sure if those 4 screws are the same torx type which are used on the older MacBook models.

Also, after you do remove the offending screw, replace it with a small hex head or stronger sheet metal screw. I have had to do that on various notebook models I've worked on. Most of the screws used on notebook computers are of the small phillips type usually made of soft metal - which means they can easily be stripped.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kooBcaM 13"
I tried the first stuff- i'm afraid to use a dremmel- I got an offer from a friend last week for my computer so I may explain what happned (theres no shot he'll care or understand and sell the computer. i'll lose some cash but at least I can upgrade to 2.4ghz!

Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
If I had a picture of what you're looking at I could probably give you an idea of how to get it out. Is it phillips or torx?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP
You would take a loss on the computer because of a stripped screw? If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself, take it into an Apple Store and have them extract the screw. How much could they charge?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
This is one of the issues I face now and then. I mean I messed up my dad's laptop's screws at places and had to fix things by pieces of tape!

Once, I tried using Super Glue to stick the Philips Screwdriver head to the stripped screw. I did not think that would work, but it did!

You could give it a try, although yeah, it could depend on the glue you use and how bad the stripping actually is. I stop forcing things once I realise it could strip more.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing I have learned in my time professionally servicing both desktop and notebook computers is to never underestimate the value of good tools.

If you're using those typical dollar-store precision screw driver sets (you know, the metal ones with the chrome handles and the loose nut on the end), you're just asking for trouble.

A good set, like the one I linked to above (Kronus brand, Radio Shack) will prevent this sort of thing. iFixIt also carries decent screw driver sets.

Reaction score
I've got a solution! I faced the same problem after purchasing a refurbished macbook and finding that the hard drive screw had been stripped. I took the smallest flathead I had (a 1.5 I believe) and stuck the corner into the stripped hole. Then, using a little bit of pressure I rocked the bit back and forth to try and make an impression of a new groove (basically the same idea as using a dremel). The rocking back and forth eventually created a groove in the soft aluminum, and that groove was enough for the flat head to lock into place and give me the grip I needed to loosed the screw.

After replacing the drive I didn't put the same screw back in but rather taped it up temporarily and will hit the computer store tomorrow to buy a replacement screw. I got that thing out once... I'm not going to risk having to do it again! Hopefully I can find a stronger metal for the replacement screw I buy.

I hope this solution helps others who become frustrated by a procedure that SHOULD have been so simple.

Paul Lowey
Gloo Studios | Visual FX & Video Production

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
Might I suggest something like this? :p

51pRcxMZL3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you are still having problems, a good set of needle nose pliers should do it.

Reaction score
This is an old thread, but I came here looking for a solution to the same problem with a MacBook stripped hard drive retaining screw. My solution (and it sure isn't pretty) was to unscrew the other holder (the one that rests against the front of the case), and then get a very small flat head screwdriver (1/8" or so) and slowly (and I mean SLOWLY) wiggle/pry the square rubber pads out of that holder. You have to apply an uncomfortable amount of pressure, but if you pull back the tops of the rubber squares, and get your small flathead behind them, it can be done. For replacing the new drive, insert the square rubber parts first, and then slide the other side into the holder with the stripped screw. You have to pry that side a little too in order for it to squeeze in there.

Overall, a really unwelcome solution to a really nasty problem, but if you're stuck, you're stuck. Beats taking a Dremel tool to within 1/2" of your harddrive :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
This is an old thread, but I came here looking for a solution to the same problem with a MacBook stripped hard drive retaining screw. My solution (and it sure isn't pretty) was to unscrew the other holder (the one that rests against the front of the case), and then get a very small flat head screwdriver (1/8" or so) and slowly (and I mean SLOWLY) wiggle/pry the square rubber pads out of that holder. You have to apply an uncomfortable amount of pressure, but if you pull back the tops of the rubber squares, and get your small flathead behind them, it can be done. For replacing the new drive, insert the square rubber parts first, and then slide the other side into the holder with the stripped screw. You have to pry that side a little too in order for it to squeeze in there.

Overall, a really unwelcome solution to a really nasty problem, but if you're stuck, you're stuck. Beats taking a Dremel tool to within 1/2" of your harddrive :/

My suggestion above seems much simpler, and sure to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.