Connecting Computers - Please Help

Reaction score
Mods, read through this and, if needed, can you move this to the right subforum? Sorry.

Okay, so my dilemma is that I always use files from my home computer at work. I use a mac at home and a windows server at work. The server is, just to clarify and confirm my definition of "server", each coworker has a different account on the network. The network spreads across the building. The room I work in has its own server, with a bunch of monitors connected to one main PC, every monitor doing something else (different user on each monitor). So, I always want to take my files into work, but because we use a server, i don't like using a usb stick. How can I read/write files that are on my home mac from work? for free? I was thinking FTP, but I dont fully understand how it works, or how to setup a free server on my mac.

Long story short, give me a way to basically get inside my mac (access any of my files) via a pc or mac connected to the internet, and not just my home network, and it would be better if it was password-protected and, preferably (but not absolutely necessary), free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Look here and there is another for Back to My Mac - for $10 that may give you the answers you need.

OP
Q
Reaction score
not quite what i had in mind, and I don't really wanna buy a book i will only use once. thank you for the suggestion, but can anybody just tell me what to do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.