Free Repairs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, Mac OS X 10.5.6
Hi,
my imac at the moment has a blanks CD stuck in it and i have tried everything from restarting whilst holding down the mouse button to terminal lines and nothing happens... It came up as a disk image n i pressed eject and it make the noise you heard of the drive ejecting it but nothing happens and it thinks their is no disk in there.

I went into to local apple store in Cardiff and was told it would be £50 to get the CD out and another £100 or so to replace the drive if it was broken.

As i bought it from the apple website iam going to try return/get it repaired by ringing them up... but i have had the imac for well over a year now and was wondering if anyone has had much luck getting a free repair when its out of warrenty as i seen over the internet that this is a common problem with the imacs...

Also has anyone had much luck trying to use the sales of good act to get it fixed for free or replaced as i have spent just under a grand on this and its broke...

I am just asking in advance as i cant sort out a pick up as iam in uni at the moment and need it to finish some work and it will have to be sorted out when i go home for the summer.

Thanks in advance, also i you have any other tricks to try get the CD out that would be great but i have tried a load already and cant see it happening..

Tyler

Reaction score
Hi there, have you pluged in a wired mouse and held the button down when the machine bongs at startup. Keep it held and after 3 mins it should pop out. If not from my experience the internal arms within the drive have broken or there's some other drive fault. I usually charge about £85 for replacing the drive including parts and labour, sadly i'm a real distance from Cardiff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.