Need Apple Hardware Test

Reaction score
I have a 1.25Gb iMac 20" G4 that originally shipped with OSX 10.3 back in 2004. I must have inadvertently discarded the install disc which contained the Apple Hardware Test. I am trying to locate a copy of the AHT that I can burn onto a CD.

Oddly, when I attempt to download the AHT from Apple's website, all that I get is the Read Me file.

Can someone please help? Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Are you in the UK? If so I can sort you something out I expect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ahh, a shame that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, Mac OS X 10.5.6
when i bought a macbook which was used as a display model they lost the install disks and i looked it up on the net and you can ring up apple to send out another copy... i think they are meant to charge you but as i told them on the phone the store lost them the guy on the phone managed to sort them out for free. They said it may take a few weeks but i got them after a week.

This was for the installation disks but i am sure you could do the same for the hardware test ones as well.

hope that helps, good luck

Tyler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When you get the download from Apple it should be in .dmg format I take it? Drag the .dmg icon to the desktop, open Disk Utility and drag it then to the left hand column.

Pop in a new CD. Highlight the .dmg in the LH column and hit the burn button. It should be bootable. Opening AHT on the desktop usually only shows up as a 'Read Me' file in Text Edit.

OP
K
Reaction score
When you get the download from Apple it should be in .dmg format I take it? Drag the .dmg icon to the desktop, open Disk Utility and drag it then to the left hand column.

Pop in a new CD. Highlight the .dmg in the LH column and hit the burn button. It should be bootable. Opening AHT on the desktop usually only shows up as a 'Read Me' file in Text Edit.

I burned the AHT to CD as per your suggestion. However, all that I end up with is the Read Me file. Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried booting from it. As explained when you burn AHT and pop it in to read what is on the disk, all you get is a .pdf 'Read Me' file usually of about 7.1MB which opens in Preview. Only when you boot from the disk you burnt will the program be available.

Pop the CD in, reboot and hold down 'C" as soon as you hear the chimes and let us know how you went?

OP
K
Reaction score
Have you tried booting from it. As explained when you burn AHT and pop it in to read what is on the disk, all you get is a .pdf 'Read Me' file usually of about 7.1MB which opens in Preview. Only when you boot from the disk you burnt will the program be available.

Pop the CD in, reboot and hold down 'C" as soon as you hear the chimes and let us know how you went?

My bad. Sorry for being a bit dense. However, the AHT that I downloaded does not support my iMac. I believe that my iMac 1.25GHz, 20" that I purchased in 2004 requires a later version of the AHT which does not seem to be on Apple's website. Dang.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problems kitjv it can be a little confusing thinking there is no utility on the CD. Getting AHT for anything later than 2001 iMacs, or anything G5 is extremely difficult. You might try a MUG near you as you are in the States where there are any number of user groups.

Otherwise I guess you are looking for the original system install disc that came with your machine. The iMac version you are after is 2.0.1.

OP
K
Reaction score
No problems kitjv it can be a little confusing thinking there is no utility on the CD. Getting AHT for anything later than 2001 iMacs, or anything G5 is extremely difficult. You might try a MUG near you as you are in the States where there are any number of user groups.

Otherwise I guess you are looking for the original system install disc that came with your machine. The iMac version you are after is 2.0.1.

Thanks, Harry. Yeah, I am in the States. But it's really no major concern since the workhorse is a MacBook Pro. In fact, the old iMac is running just fine. It simply occurred to me that it would be nice to have the AHT if I need it.

I noticed that you are in OZ. My wife I were talking the other day about the month we spent in '02 between Sydney & Port Douglas. Magnificent!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.