Macbook Pro and extra RAM?

Reaction score
hey, if anyone can help id really appreciate it. I am considering buying a new Macbook Pro because i use alot of design software (photoshop, idesign, illustrator ect..) and i am wondering if i need to buy extra RAM. the design standard adobe software packages use 1 gb or RAM and the macbook pro comes with a standard of 2gbs. so, do you think it is worth it to invest in the extra RAM. thank you. (sorry if this doesnt make sense, im not great with computer lingo)

Reaction score
No, you don't need anymore ram for your computer. Mac OS X isn't close to using a full gig of space. You'll be fine and you will also be able to have an other application (or more) open at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
But at less then 60$ for a 4gig kit why not upgrade it !

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
No, you don't need anymore ram for your computer. Mac OS X isn't close to using a full gig of space. You'll be fine and you will also be able to have an other application (or more) open at the same time.

What are you talking about? We are talking about Memory not HDD space. >_>"

To the OP, RAM is seriously so cheap I don't see why you wouldn't upgrade. Just because the Adobe suite says the min requirements is 1GB doesn't mean that's always the case.

If you are doing print design, then your documents are going to huge especially since it's 300 DPI in most cases, and your computer will lag if you don't have a lot of RAM.

Not to mention the amount of layers and filters and what not. >_<"

Reaction score
I agree get the RAM, your OS takes up a chunk and the adobe design reserves 1GB doesn't leave you a lot of leeway to run another intense program in the background.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

I agree with Crimson, as inexpensive as memory is I would max it out. Besides, who's to tell what software you'll be running next year or even an OS upgrade down the pike?

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.