Disk error while installing window on a mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a black screen saying disk error.
The thing is I chose LEAVE the current file system intact on the formatting page cuz I thought it would also work. Please tell me how to solve this thing

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot back to OS X. Select the Boot Camp assistant, select create partition, select restore. Reboot. Start over. But this time, read the Boot Camp instructions or print them out. Link

Regards.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem... but when i get into the windows XP install section... there is no where to choose the formating for FAT32 as it ask... all my options are is NTFS... anyone have any suggestion.?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is the size of the partition you created for Windows XP? If the partition you created is 32 GB or larger, your only choice will be NTFS.

Regards.

Reaction score
still having problems

Im still having problems i've tried making partitions under 32 gigs for FAT 32 and I've tried larger sizes for NTFS... and i either get the disk error msg... or i get the hal.dll error msg.... im pretty frustrated with this... im using a corporate copy of XP sp2... anyone have any suggestions? Thanks...

Reaction score
Corporate copies do not always work. Some of them function like branded OEM disks, which also cause errors. The Hal.dll error (search for it on the forum) means that certain files are corrupted or missing. Best bet is to buy an OEM System Builder's edition of XPSP2 or SP2 (or full retail), get rid of what you have and try again. Or, you could try a fresh corporate copy first (maybe something is off on your disk or copy). BC is very picky about what will work well.

Cheers

Reaction score
I have an OEM xp sp2 disc and it is giving me the exact same problem. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

I am attempting to install Win XP Sp2 on my 13 MBP (Apr 2010 model) via boot camp and keep receiving the following error.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

I have copied the file from the cd to the boot camp disk via OSX and nothing. I've even tried 3 different discs. After I do copy it I do get a disk error press any key to restart and nothing happens.

I've also tried to repair the install and my F6 will not respond.

I've followed the instructions in the boot camp PDF to the T several times.

I've searched with no results, I see old posts about this but nothing that helps my cause.

Bumping an old thread to keep it all together for future searchers. Thanks in Advance.

-LUI

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That error is cause by an improper notation in the "boot.ini" file which is created upon installation of Windows XP. Since this occurred during the installation phase, I suspect the version of Windows XP SP2 you're attempting to install is not compatible with Boot Camp.

You either need to use a genuine MS boxed full install of XP Home or Pro SP2, SP3, or an OEM System Builder's full install of XP Home or Pro SP2, SP3.

So called "corporate" copies or VL copies will not work. OEM specific copies such as from Dell, Sony, HP, Acer, etc, likewise do not work. Same goes for restore or recovery copies.

Regards.

Reaction score
That error is cause by an improper notation in the "boot.ini" file which is created upon installation of Windows XP. Since this occurred during the installation phase, I suspect the version of Windows XP SP2 you're attempting to install is not compatible with Boot Camp.

You either need to use a genuine MS boxed full install of XP Home or Pro SP2, SP3, or an OEM System Builder's full install of XP Home or Pro SP2, SP3.

So called "corporate" copies or VL copies will not work. OEM specific copies such as from Dell, Sony, HP, Acer, etc, likewise do not work. Same goes for restore or recovery copies.

Regards.

I was able to successfully install XP with a corporate dell cd.

;P LOL

I was using a self install dvd that didn't work.

I am going to try again the self install and attempt the repair with the one that worked.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You do realize you violated the MS EULA by installing a Dell Corporate version?

And since we do not discuss illegal activities in these forums, this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.