Student trying to find a good notebook match

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been using Macs my entire life and I absolutely love them but I've found myself incredibly frustrated with my 2007 White MacBook. I've had two of them now and both, after a year of use, have basically decided to quit on me. On this particular machine, I believe I've replaced the hard drive twice and the logic board once. I'm pretty certain this model just sucks.

Anyway, enough complaining, now that my macbook is once again sick (it won't hold a charge and I'm getting the spinny wheel of death literally every minute or so) I'm looking for a new computer.

I'm a student soon going to college and I need a computer that can handle my very active computer life. I am a film student, an artist, and a writer so I need a computer that can handle lots of files, Photoshop, Final Cut, Photoshop, GarageBand, etc. without imploding.

I'm leaning towards the new aluminum MacBook but I'm not sure if that's going to work, the refurb $1099 price is just very attractive. I want to stay under $1500 if at all possible.

I'm rather clueless on if I should get a MacBook or a MacBook Pro or what, so any suggestions you may have would be great! Thanks C:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you are on a budget then the refurd Macbook would be fine

what sort of maintenance apps do you use, and do you keep the MacBook awake 24/7

OP
C
Reaction score
I don't use any maintenance apps, is there one I should use?

I do tend to keep it awake 24/7 which is probably not the best thing for it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
There is some debate about running a mac 24/7, I myself shut-down when not in use to save electricity bills

On the maintenance front you should use programs like MainMenu or Onyx to keep the mac in shape

OP
C
Reaction score
Ah, all good things to keep in mind. Thanks. I'm going to get rid of this computer though, the repair costs about $800 and I'd rather just get a new computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.