USB Over Current Notice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, Dual Core Intel Xeon, Memory 18GB, MacBookPro, Intel Core 2 Memory 4 GB
I have a Mac Pro 1.1 and have recently start receiving the following error:

"USB Over Current Notice

A USB device is currently drawing too much power. The hub device ....."

I only have one USB device attached - Mouse. I've switched mouse devices and still receive the same notice. Is it time to swap out my USB board?

Thanks,

Koyangie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
USB board, have you installed a USB card in a desktop mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'd suggest running Disk Utility > Verify Disk > Repair Disk (if necessary). Macs are notorious for insufficient power to USB ports, but using only a mouse should not trigger a warning.

From the information you post, your computer appears to be a laptop (not a Mac Pro, but a MacBook Pro?). I remember reading elsewhere that you should use USB Port 1 wherever possible, but that shouldn't apply to just a mouse. I think it might be time to contact your Apple provider.

These links might provide you with more information meantime:
Macworld: USB Over Current Notice ...
Macworld: USB Over Current Notice ...

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, Dual Core Intel Xeon, Memory 18GB, MacBookPro, Intel Core 2 Memory 4 GB
Thanks for the input. I've been out of pocket and am just getting to your post. The system in question is a "DESK TOP MAC PRO" not a MacBookPro. I have not added an USB board just a thought on my part (long time PC user and familiar with replacing/adding cards).

I ran disk verify and it came back OK. I also changed ports and get the same results when I boot. After I click OK I don't see the notification again until I reboot.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Koyangie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Okay, the reason I questioned the model of Mac was that I ran a reference check for "Mac Pro 1.1" and all the responses turned up MacBook Pro.

To have a Mac Pro give you an Over Current notice is highly unusual, since desktop or tower Macs generally have sufficient USB functionality.

My next suggestion is to boot from the original Install Disk 1 that came with the machine and run Disk Utility (Verify -> Repair) from that. Because it unmounts the hard drive volume prior to running a check, it can detect both OS and hardware problems that otherwise might not show up from the installed OS Disk Utility.

Do you have USB devices (other than the two mice) that you can try on the Pro's USB ports? External hard drive, or optical drive for example.

If problems persist, I'd recommend taking the Pro to a service technician, one who can run a check with Disk Warrior. It is the ultimate Utility tool, and can find/repair problems that Apple utilities can't/don't.

Reaction score
I have 6 imac 2.66 Core 2 Duo that have the USB Over current Notice, Looking for any solutions that would help.. out of the 225 that have been running nicely for the past 3 years.. nothing seems to work with these.. all suggestions are welcome, were past the different mice and keyboard uses and have zapped pram and disk utilitie for repairing permission's.. HELP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.