Any good Free SSH File Transfer applications for OS X?

Reaction score
I use lftp. It is command line only but is fast and allows for restart of transfers and supports a myriad of file transfer protocols including sftp. I tried Cyberduck, and while it has a nice user interface, its file transfer rate was only half of what a command line tool would give.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have had very good luck with Transmit. I know it cost a bit but it's never let me down.

M

meltbanana314

Transmit and Cyberduck are FTP/SFTP programs. He only wanted a graphical front end for SSH, which Fugu provides (as well as pure SFTP).

Reaction score
Actually, the original poster asked for ssh file transfer apps, not front end ssh. Anyways, I would be wary of fugu if it is merely a front end to the existing command line tools because the baseline ssh tools installed in OS X are not very good -- in particular not supporting resuming of upload/download. So unless fugu has reworked the ssh intrinsics itself, it is always going to be at the mercy of the features (and lack thereof) in the installed OS X ssh commands.

I perform a lot of 1GB file transfers requiring 1.5-8 hours depending on available bandwidth, so the resume feature is an absolute must for me.

And again, I would warn anyone using a front end tool to verify that the file transfer rate is not slowing down. This is the reason that I dropped CyberDuck. It resulted in file transfers 50% slower than what lftp did for the same sftp:// protocol transfer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.