No Sound

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to macs so I hope you can help a newbee at this. Today i played music from my Macbook Pro via a cable plugged into my headphone port and into my amp. Everything was great until i unplugged and now no sound will play out of my macs own speakers. What have i done wrong? There is a red light on in the headphone port if that helps anyone?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's stuck in Optical Digital mode for the Tos-Link cable. Try plugging the plug back in and out a couple of times and see if the sound comes back.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try this tip:

It sounds like it is jammed in optical audio out mode.

There's a microswitch that turns the port on and off. Looking into the port, the switch is a small metal thing near the back of the port, on the right side. Take a toothpick or some similar object and poke at the switch until it unsticks and the light goes off.

Also I saw it suggested to try the headphones in and out 10 or more times.

Also another Tip was to reset the PMU. Shut down your Macbook Pro, disconnect the magsafe adapter, and remove the battery. Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.