Ethernet Self Assigned IP address on iBook G4 Help Please!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new on these forums so sorry if I posted in the wrong section, I can't be sure if I have a network problem or hardware.
If someone could help I'd be greatfull, my G4 iBook (Power PC G4 800MHz) running OS 10.4 was on the internet, connected via Ethernet, next minute stops working. Network says the Ethernet has a Self Assigned IP address. I saw alot of threads about this on here and at apple.com but they were more with the airport.
I tried everything I could think of but it hasn't worked.
I turned off the router and cable modem things, and then turned them on again
I checked with another cable,
I reinstalled Mac OSX twice, 2 different versions,
I ran the hardware test disc, it didnt show any problems, it showed the Ethernet HW address as 00:0a:95:ad:f3:86
I tried using the computer on a different internet line in another house which I know is working
I used set up assistant, that just told me my 'settings had been changed by another application' even after 2 reinstalls.
and I tried entering the info as much as I could manually, but either 'settings had been changed by another application' came up again or the settins didnt match.
(I used the IP details etc from the later Macbook im using now and transferred them across.)
I also looked on the forums and found someone recommened deleting files from the Libary-Preference folder, but that didnt work or my iBook didnt have the same files.

My ibook displays the folowwing when its connected to the Ethernet
IP Address 0.0.0.0 (169.254.202.122 Using DHCP)
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
Router
DNS Servers
IPv6 Address fe80:0000:0000:0000:020a:95ff:fead:f386

I tried using the info from my Macbook that is connecting which was
IP Address 0.0.0.0 (220.60.104.21 Using DHCP)
Subnet Mask 255.255.252.0
Router 220.60.107.254
DNS 218.176.253.97, 218.176.253.65

but it wont accept them and says Setting changed by an application.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it, its driving me crazy.

And If the Ethernet is actually broken, is there a way to connect to the Ethernet cable from the modem to the USB/Firewire or Modem socket?
Some kind of adaptor or something? Or would it not work for some reason?
My computer doesnt have airport and changing the cable modem thiny isnt an option.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You have tried pretty much everything I would have tried myself if I were there. I would have blamed your router/Modem but taking it to a friends house and having the same issue rules that out.

Does your router have Lights on it that light up when a computer is plugged in to the RJ45 port in back? Does the light light up when you plug in the iBook?

You have done 2 complete reinstalls so that rules out OSX as far as I am concerned. I take it you have your Ethernet set to DHCP in OSX? That 169.X.X.X is a address OSX will use if it can't get a DHCP address from anywhere else. The fact it was working and just stopped makes me wonder if it's not the Ethernet port in the iBook.

Get back to us on the light on the router for that port the iBook is connected to. I will look for a USB adapter you can maybe purchase in case your onboard Ethernet is dead.

OP
M
Reaction score
Does your router have Lights on it that light up when a computer is plugged in to the RJ45 port in back? Does the light light up when you plug in the iBook?

Get back to us on the light on the router for that port the iBook is connected to. I will look for a USB adapter you can maybe purchase in case your onboard Ethernet is dead.

Thanks for the reply, I have it connected directly to a modem, no router. Is some kinda highspeed thing, I'm in Japan, so I think the 2 modems were 50mbps and 100mbps, the modems has no red lights when either the non working iBook or the working Macbook I have is attached.

Yeah I'd love an adaptor, and I did actually just try and get one. I live in Japan so buying stuff at the local shop is a little bit of trouble but I took the iBook down there, they had an adaptor that they let me try in the shop, heres the English page for it
Welcome to PCI® _ We Network Your Entertainment !
the drivers had to be downloaed of the internet and even though it said ok for OS 10.3/10.4 and 10.5 when I looked at the online manual
Welcome to PCI® _ We Network Your Entertainment !
the instructions were a little different to install than my mac actually displayed. The files had to have code written in Terminal and files placed in the Extensions folder. I tried it, but it didnt seem to work. Not sure if it was becasue the files listed in the instructions didnt exactly match the driver I had. On the computer they were a letter number combination , in the instructions they were appended with .kext.
Despite rebooting alot it wouldnt recognise the adaptor and as I couldnt really speak enough Japanese I didnt buy it.
Does anyone know if all these adaptors have to have code written into Terminal etc? It seemed a little overly complex.
Thanks again in advance for any replies.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The reason I asked about the light on the router is am trying to see if the port is dead on the iBook. One thing you could do is look at the RJ45 jack on the iBook and see if the pins are all straight. Seen that happen also.

I have not had any sleep as yet tonight but will check on those USB Network adapters later for you unless someone beats me to it.

OP
M
Reaction score
So I finally got an Ethernet to USB adaptor to work and be recognised by the Network Systems, it comes up as a choice with the build in ethernet and airport etc, the little light on the adaptor says there is a link established and................the Ethernet to USB adaptor has a self assigned IP address! I can manually enter the IP address and it says its connected for awhile, but no browser will work. It fails to get a signal and then reverts to Self Assigned IP address.
So, I'm guessing even though the Hardware Test disc showed no problems some thing is fried inside? Maybe the Logic Board?
Does anyone have any ideas?
Again thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.