Mac Ports - Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am rather new to the MAC OS and am having some trouble with MacPorts.
I am running OS X 10.5 Leopard, I really hope that someone will be able to help me out guess I went in a little arrogant having used Linux.

I was trying to install some applications using some instructions on darwinports.com, for example wireshark required the following commands to install.

Code:
cd /opt/local/bin/portslocation/deport/wireshark
sudo port install wireshark

The problem is that first, the DIR above was not recognized and returned
Code:
-bash: cd: /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/: No such file or directory

I tried to download and install the utility again but it said that the version of mac ports that you are using is newer than the package that you are trying to install, but I did it anyways since I thought it might help, DIR being missing and all.

The above error was returned again. I skipped the CD /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/wireshark part and jumped straight to sudo port install wireshark this still did not work. sudo port -d selfupdate worked but with errors.

One more error is below, though I forget for which application.

Code:
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_textproc_expat/work/expat-2.0.1" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --mandir=/opt/local/share/man " returned error 77

Command output: checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin9.7.0

checking host system type... i386-apple-darwin9.7.0

checking for gcc... /usr/bin/gcc-4.0

checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

See `config.log' for more details.

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: glib2 gettext expat libiconv gperf ncurses ncursesw perl5 perl5.8 pkgconfig gtk2 atk gtk-doc docbook-xml-4.3 xmlcatmgr docbook-xsl gnome-doc-utils docbook-xml docbook-xml-4.1.2 docbook-xml-4.2 docbook-xml-4.4 docbook-xml-4.5 docbook-xml-5.0 iso-codes py25-hashlib openssl zlib python25 libxml2 libxslt p5-xml-parser py25-libxml2 rarian getopt intltool gnome-common cairo fontconfig freetype libpixman libpng xrender xorg-libX11 xorg-bigreqsproto xorg-inputproto xorg-kbproto xorg-libXau xorg-xproto xorg-libXdmcp xorg-xcmiscproto xorg-xextproto xorg-xf86bigfontproto xorg-xtrans xorg-renderproto jasper jpeg pango Xft2 shared-mime-info tiff xorg-libXcomposite xorg-compositeproto xorg-libXext xorg-libXfixes xorg-fixesproto xorg-libXcursor xorg-libXdamage xorg-damageproto xorg-libXi xorg-libXinerama xorg-xineramaproto xorg-libXrandr xorg-randrproto libpcap

Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

I took a copy of the config.log file is anyone needs that. Again I would really appreciate the help, just need to be able to install the needed applications. Many thanks in advnace.

Max

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To help save you some time, you can download Wireshark from their website here.

Do you have the dev tools (Xcode) installed?

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to subscribe to this thread otherwise I would have responded sooner. Yes, the problem was due to not having installed XCode once I did that I was able to install the program. Thanks a lot for your help.

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.