Feedback Through Speakers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
I am getting some feedback through my monitor speakers that are connected to my iMac.

Not all the time, mostly when they are not being used but turned on - even when my iMac might be idle and me just playing with iPhoto then empty the garbage I get some little feedback then head the trash being emptyed.

I just wanted to ask what causes feedback? Its not like humming or anything sounds like bolts of electricty.. can this be caused by my ethernet cable?

Seems strange but now that I'm not using wireless and a have switched to CAT5 I can hear these noises. I dont remember being able to hear it when I was using a wireless connection. But now since I cant reach the router from my room I have no other choice nor can I do an isolation test.

Some last longer the other.. I have replaced the cable from the speakers to the iMac next I was thinking I'd use a surge protector incase this might be what the problem is?

I'm puzzled and annoyed. The noise is really annoying and more worrying if it may be the power of faulty wireing in the house I should get a surge protector asap.

Any advice would be great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Do you have a cell phone or anything else on your desk?

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No its nothing like that.. It's a strange sound.. like poping or an electrical current kinda noise..

The monitor speakers I usually run straight from my decks but since I'm not mixing much these days I decided to use them for my iMac.

They are in perfect condition, they are active speakers and there isnt any thing wrong with the amps etc.. All is working perfectly say if I plug my iPhone straight in..

They have balanced TRS and RCA. I swaped it from RCA to TRS last night to see if that would have any impact. I dont know if I noticed any feedback but I did notice from the minute I swaped them over my sound levels droped at least 25%.. I was switching from TRS back to RCA and vice versa and could notice a considerable differance between them both. I was always under the impression that using TRS cables would give me better sound both from my decks and my iMac. So that was a little dishearting.

My partners mate own a company that provides networking soloutions/installs and said he was going to get some testing equiptment to test the noise on the line.. Could this be a direct result of my feedback?

I also noticed one other thing.. When I turn the 3.5 stereo connecter that is plugged into my iMac say clockwise/anti-clockwise I get static and the music will drop in and out from time to time..?

I also get feedback say when I have not been using my iMac for 20 min or so then say play a song or empty the trash I will hear strange pop os buzz then the song I selected to play and so forth...

This did get me thinking maybe its my iMac? But I have doubts about the line and the power in the building..

I have started doing isolation tests but I dont wish to rack my brain!!

Any other ideas??

:(

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so still no luck - I'm still getting feedback and I'm guessing it may be my iMac. Is anyone using an external sound card for their iMac and maybe can recommend something decent?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.53GHz, 4GB, Snow Leopard + iPhone 3G
Ok so still no luck - I'm still getting feedback and I'm guessing it may be my iMac. Is anyone using an external sound card for their iMac and maybe can recommend something decent?

Yeh. Recently i have been using a simple behringer interface with MacBook. I find it works much better than mini jack out, as i get no interference. Its also easier to wire as when audio leads run parallel with power ones you can get problems like you mentioned. Heres a link.

BEHRINGER: Interfaces

Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.