Want to build a PC...Oh man, did i just say what i think i said?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
OK, i will try to make this as short as possible. :)

I have always used macs and i love using them. But when i go away to college coming up this fall i will need a PC to run AutoCad...stuid OSU requires that we use AutoCad so i can't get around it. I thought about using VPC but that would run incredibly slow.

I am lucky that my parents and grandparents have already told me they are going to get me a laptop for graduation. I picked out a 15in PB with the 128MD VRAM upgrade...hehe ;) The laptop will be used for everything except AutoCad.

My question is were is/are the best places to go to find pieces and parts to build a PC. I would like this system to run AutoCad well and i am going to put a minimum of 1 gig of ram in it. I will probably start building this system in about 3-4 months. I am probably going to want to do a little gaming on the machine but i don't plan on anything to heavy. The only thing i am fairly picky about is the case. I want something that looks fairly nice. When it is all said and done the desktop will probably come to resemble OSX a lot :)

So were is/are the best places to buy, motherboard, CPU, fans, etc.?

I am new to PC's so if someone could "make me a parts list" to get me started i would appreciated it.

Also, post links to what you are talking about so i can look at it please.

Thanks for any help!! :) :)

Reaction score
Um. I suggest you don't build a PC... Sometime is actually costs more than a manufactured PC. I recommend getting something around 2.6-2.8GHz from dell and sticking 1GB memory. Or if you want to build a PC, there is tons of widley prices PC parts at www.tigerdirect.ca or www.tigerdirect.com if your in america

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and for parts....

I will also recommend the specs of each part if you like...

Lets start with a case.

Black ATX Case

Motherboard Socket 478 (for pentium 4 CPU's)

Powersupply - go for a 400W

Pentium 4 CPU around 2.8GHz

Harddrive - 80GB - 120GB (more space for AutoCad files??)

CD-RW/DVD-ROM (or DVD-RW if u wanna butn DVD's)

Video Card (i recommend nVidea) 128MB card (make it an AGP card if there are AGP slots on the motherboard, if there are no AGP slots, go with a PCI 128MB Video Card)

Sound Card (if you want good 5.1 sound, get a $20-40 sound card from Creative, SoundBlaster)

Monitor - You can get like a $200-300 17" LCD or 19" for 300 something if you want more room)

Am i missing anything???

Good Luck

Oh yeah, and sometimes you can jusy get a barebone system with some aprts already in it with a case . Ex http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1227

W

warrenbert

My favorite place is www.newegg.com. Best selection and best prices plus fast service.

Start cruising PC forums on what components people are using and are the most satisfied with. I'm not familiar with Autocad, but if there's a 64-bit version, go with an AMD 64 CPU. Intel is way behind on this technology after barking up the wrong tree (Itanium). AMD PCs give you much more bang for your buck.

I

IChing

For your repairs you can use this site, its in spainish but very helpful.

I have a pc also for certain applications. Unless you are a gamer your cost could be cheap depending on the application requirements. Buy used, then reformat, alot of people don't know how to and get another computer.
http://www.technetguru.net/host/27/ ----- pc repair enjoy

K

Kokopelli

I would suggest getting a Dell or eMachine. It used to be you could build a system for a fraction of the cost of a COTS PC. Now though building from scratch is not really that much cheaper, especially when you figure in the cost of Windows.

If you are determined to build from scratch though I would use newegg.com, they have decent prices and great service. Directron.com is good as well. Right now I would go with an AMD64 based system, just my personal preference on "bang for the buck." For Case you might consider the Shuttle SN95G5. I am picking one up to replace one of my older systems. It has the benefit of being a barebones system so you won't need to put in and connect the motherboard.

Reaction score
As stated many times above, I would recommend newegg. Their prices are great, and every item I've ordered came BEFORE the anticipated delivery date. :p

I actually just built a PC several weeks ago. I built a small form factor, which uses a Shuttle case. It's the size a glorified toaster, and sits on top of my desk. It's a great lookin' machine. It uses a Pent 4 3.0GHz chip, 256 videocard, 160 harddrive, etc. It's a sweet machine. Honestly, I don't think you will save money if you build ai system. It will could (and probably will) end costing more than a Dell/Emachine/Gateway.

One thing's for sure...it's fun building a system. Just make sure that you know someone who is well versed with PC's. I had to ask for assistance on several occasions...

VakeJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
mate build your own AMD system, you get what you need not what your given. Many systems use Intel so that pushes up the price before you start.

If your going to uni then you might be able to get xp for free like i did :D ask about MSDN allience and if they are part of it.

D

d-funct

The shuttle is a great machine to start building with ... it has pretty much everything you need apart from the memory, CPU, and vid card, optical drive and hard drive :O sounds like a lot but its a **** sight less than buliding your own totally from scratch :) if you need any help with it PM me and i'll be glad to help

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
I think i am going to attempt to build one, but i still have a couple months to decide. Mostly because i want to try and i think i may be fun...i hope. :)

I have a friend that is very familiar with PC's so he is going to help me out in putting the computer together.

Any suggestions for halfway decent LCD displays that don't cost and arm and a leg. I would like it to look good. I have heard that Dell monitors are pretty good. Is that true?

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Dell monitors are awesome, at least their 2001FP and 2005FPW are. They have a new 24in LCD that is $1200, I haven't seen it in person but the specs look good. Check gotapex.com for Dell deals if buying a Dell monitor, they are on sale just about every other day.

I like to get my PC stuff from newegg.com, there are some sites that may be a couple bucks cheaper on certain items but I know if I order from newegg I'll actually get it and get it quick. Check resellerratings.com before ordering from a site you haven't heard of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
As some have stated above, if you are just looking for a good, but not great machine, you may be able to buy a ready built E machine or Dell for less than building one. However, if you want a killer performer and/or looker go to NewEgg.com and Outpost.com for parts. Also, if you have a Fry's electronics near you, head down there and check out some of the parts you plan on using 'in-person.' This is especially helpful with the cases. For a chip I would go with an AMD 64/FX, and for the motherboard I like the Nvidia N Force series.

-Chris

E

Echo_

any oem build sucks or is horribly overpriced....
go amd for sure if you wanna game
if you need help building a system gimee a price range and ill show u a good setup

Reaction score
Newegg has great prices on their LCD's. A friend of mine was going to order a 19" LCD for $300! It has a DVI connection as well. If you wait a few months, you'll find an even better deal. I can't wait for the prices to drop for the 21-24 inchers :closed:

One more note:
I noticed that more people are inclined to rate products on Newegg, than the majority of other websites. I wouldn't base decision solely on ratings, but if a product has 5 out of 5 stars from 50 people+, chances are it's a good product. Just my .02

VJ

I just re-read my responses....it sounds like a work for newegg!! I don't...just a supporter of good service

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4ghz SR, 256m 8600gt, 640gb HD, 3gb RAM
as far as hardware goes, definitely go AMD-64 bit, way ahead of intel and cheaper too, video card go with nVidea, everything is just standard,
as far as software goes, many say that it's cheaper to buy a dell or emachines, but thats because they include Windows XP, just go to eBay and buy an OEM copy of Windows there, you can get one for less than $80.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the input!

In my original post i siad that i would probably be putting this system together in about 4 months. Well, long story short,... A deer hit my truck and know i have about $800 worth of repair to do on it. I thought about turning it into the insurence company but the deductable is something like 400 dollars anyway so i figure in the long run it is cheaper to pay for the work myself.

Guess this system is going to have to wait until i get back from Japan...about the begining of september.

Thanks for the input and in anyone is interested this is the case i have my eye on http://atxcases.com/Cases/mesh_silver.htm

Hear is the Motherboard --> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-186-040&DEPA=1

Any suggestion on processor? I know AMD, but speed wise what do you all reccomend? I was thinking 2.4 to 2.8 range...probably closer to the 2.8 range.

I will probably put a combo drive in the top bay and a Dual Layer DVD Burner in the bottom bay. 120+ Gig HD, and 1 gig of ram to start with.

One of my friends from high school (that is a year behind me) told me that he would help pay for some of this system. He will be joining me at OSU after he graduates. Mostly because he wants to use it for gaming i think :)

Thanks for the help and keep it coming!! :)

E

Echo_

uh the fastest amd is an fx-55 which is around 900-1000 dollars and is 2.6 ghz. remember ghz isnt that important in amd's compared to intel's
whats your budget??
that mobo isnt that great

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My budget is a little had to say right now, especially with the car problem i had. I was planning on around 1,000 to 1,500. Those things i listed were just some of the things i found just looking around quickly. I really don't know much about PC's and that is half the reason i want to do this...good learning experience.

Any ointers you can give me a greatly appreciated. I know i want AMD and it seems that most everybody says go with AMD so i do know that much. But as far a "good" mobo i am somewhat clueless.

Please when you say that something is good give a link (or point me in the right direction) so i can read and comprehend what is being said.

Thanks

P.S. I think my mom was giving me hints tonight that my dad is going to pay for fixing my truck so i might be able to build this sone after all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.