09 iMac 24" video card question

Reaction score
can anyone confirm if the video card can be upgraded on the 24" 2.93 Ghz or higher 2009 iMac aluminum version

... ive been searching all afternoon on the net but havnt had any solid answers. I see alot of maybe's but no one can fonfirm for sure if the card is integrated into the logic board or does use the mxm connector and can be upgraded...

anyone got any answers?

Brows

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Graphics chipset is integrated on the mother board (logic board) for the 2009 iMac aluminum machine (all models). You can choose which graphics chipset you want when you order the machine (extra cost) but it can not be changed out later on.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
are you sure? have you seen the inside of the 2.93 to 3.06 ghz ones on a website? if so could you tell me the site name? ive looked at quite a few sites that mentioned that those versions might have the mxm connector for the video card and that it might be possible to upgrade. but only on those models. Ive seen in the 2.66ghz ones and i know they are integrated. but so far no one can give me an absolute. visual perferable

Thanks

Brows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Practically speaking, it isn't possible to upgrade the GPU on ANY iMac.

Even if a site said it was theoretically possible, your hurdles include getting hold of the new GPU, taking out the old one without killing your machine, and even then, the EFI might refuse to recognise it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.