iPhoto hangs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20'', Inter Core Due 2.6GHz, 320GB HD
Hi,

I'm new in this Mac world and I' trying to figure out how all this works. I'm trying to use iPhoto 9 (8.0.2) and I am facing a problem that I don't know how to solve! IPhoto doesn't close. I see that circle going around next to the Faces link and it just doesn't stop. I have a few hundreds of photos here.
Because it doesn't stop, Mac OS doesn't shotdown and I have to do it manually, which I guess it's not the best way to do it!
Any idea?

thanks,
Miguel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad Core Intel Xeon MP 8 Core, 8 GB, 10.6.8, 4-1 TB / PB-G4 / iPad / iPhone
Now what happens when you open it?
Is all your stuff there that you loaded?
Or was it in the middle of a large load transferred when you forced it down.

This is where it helps when you fill in your profile.
We don't have to ask if it's a 56 chevy, and skip many questions to post better options.

I guess that's the new world order now, keepem guessing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's looking at all your photos and finding the Faces. It's sort of like building an index. Just let it do its thing, shouldn't take too long for just a couple hundred pictures. Imagine how long it took me once I upgraded to iPhoto 09, I have over 13,000 pictures in my iPhoto library!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20'', Inter Core Due 2.6GHz, 320GB HD
When I open it, it works as usual...just doesn't close. I have to shutdown in the button. It show all my pictures...and now I checked the total number of files...30.000!! I forgot I have so many!
If it takes so much time to create index, I guess that it will do the same thing when I add new faces, right?
I installed Picasa anyway...I like it! Just don't have that faces features but at least doesn't hangs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad Core Intel Xeon MP 8 Core, 8 GB, 10.6.8, 4-1 TB / PB-G4 / iPad / iPhone
It show all my pictures...and now I checked the total number of files...30.000!!
Oh My, that is a load.
It has to create more than one file. It creates thumb nails as well. They are the ones your actually scrolling through when you have it open.

I suspect you transferred the load from a drive.
I too am moving files into it.
But I grab a folder at a time with maybe 100 files each.

I made the mistake before in the past moving in the drive load.
It contained multiple back-up duplicates that I did not notice at first.
I hope this is not the case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.