apple care screen replacement

Reaction score
My computer was sitting in my dorm room and someone stepped on my screen, and now it has point of impact cracks and pixel bleeding. The apple store does not want to replace the screen because it was accidental damage. I have had the computer for less than a year and it is still under warranty-- the warranty just doesn't cover accidental damage. Someone told me that buying apple care does cover accidental damage, though. My question is, if i purchase apple care right now would they be required to repair my screen?

The cost for apple care is $250 and they wanted $750 to repair my screen, so the cost difference is pretty big. I'm a college student and I'm planning on studying abroad in the fall so I'm really strapped for cash right now; I'm really desperate to save money right now so I can go, so any help on how to do so would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Reaction score
They will not replace your screen, if you have one of the white macbooks 13.3" screen they run u roughly around $120 off of ebay. Then you can try and replace yourself (I have done it and it is not hard just have to be careful) or you can take the laptop and the screen to one of your local computer stores to see how much they will charge you. Either way going the ebay way will save you a ton of money compared to getting apple to fix your screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I am pretty sure AppleCare would not cover your screen if someone stepped on it. My car warranty does not cover someone ramming into me at a stoplight either. I know what it is like to be strapped for cash and going to school, but that doesn't mean much to Apple (and it shouldn't).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm just wondering why you don't make ther person who broke it pay for it? If this happened to mine, I would shove their head up their rear!! lol!!!!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Why was it on the ground in the first place, especially if it's a high traffic area.

Reaction score
I am pretty sure AppleCare would not cover your screen if someone stepped on it. My car warranty does not cover someone ramming into me at a stoplight either. I know what it is like to be strapped for cash and going to school, but that doesn't mean much to Apple (and it shouldn't).

The average car insurance should, lol. My sister car got rammed in to, and the guy drove away. However, my sister insurance covered the damages. Also, my brother accidentally broke a window in my family's house once, and the insurance covered the damages. As a matter of fact, HP/other companies pay to fix accidental damages. Honestly, I can't think if much companies that DON'T fix accidental damages within a one year time frame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
The average car insurance should, lol. My sister car got rammed in to, and the guy drove away. However, my sister insurance covered the damages. Also, my brother accidentally broke a window in my family's house once, and the insurance covered the damages. As a matter of fact, HP/other companies pay to fix accidental damages. Honestly, I can't think if much companies that DON'T fix accidental damages within a one year time frame.
These things are covered by insurance not a warranty ! Why would you even think Apple should be liable for someone's negligence !? That is just crazy. Using your theriory if I go buy a sandwich and drop it on the floor of my kitchen I should be able to go back to the shop and they will replace it ?

Reaction score
These things are covered by insurance not a warranty ! Why would you even think Apple should be liable for someone's negligence !? That is just crazy. Using your theriory if I go buy a sandwich and drop it on the floor of my kitchen I should be able to go back to the shop and they will replace it ?

That's a horrible analogy. Anyway, the guy used the insurance policy. Anyway, HP, Sony, Dell,etc. They all cover accidents. As a matter of fact, Apple covers accidents for the iPod. Apple should cover (for their macbooks) for up to one year, like most companies already do. Macbooks are VERY expensive, so I think they should be covered. Apple service care (extra) doesn't even cover accidents. I don't think that's fare. If Macbooks (and Apple care) were significantly cheaper than MAYBE it would be permissible. However, I can't afford to drop 2k on another Macbook if I drop it on my way to class. My Macbook Pro screen broke because of my stand. If several other companies cover accidents, why not Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
As a matter of fact, Apple covers accidents for the iPod.

From Apple (iPod section):

"5. What type of damages are not covered by my warranty?
Apple's Limited Warranty for iPod excludes coverage for damage resulting from ACCIDENT, liquid damage, disassembly, unauthorized service and unauthorized modifications. Please review the warranty for further details. When a service is not covered under the warranty, Apple will return your original iPod to you without providing service, and may hold you responsible for shipping costs, plus any applicable sales tax.

Note: There are liquid submersion indicators in iPod models manufactured after 2006. Please refer to this article to check if the liquid submersion indicator on your product has been triggered."

The other part of your post is also nonsense. Those other companies do not cover crap like this unless you buy some other kind of additional protection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Well as far as my analogy ....I am hungry:Oops: . But really I am not trying to flame, I just dont understand this mind set. Maybe its just my age, but I would never even think about asking the manufacture to fix for free something that wasn't even remotely their fault. Now if your MBP was damaged due to a fault with your stand then perhaps talk to that company.

As far as the op's problem it is clearly the responsibility of the person who stepped on it as well as the person that left it on the floor. If you want protection for your property then buy insurance .

Clay

Reaction score
From Apple (iPod section):

"5. What type of damages are not covered by my warranty?
Apple's Limited Warranty for iPod excludes coverage for damage resulting from ACCIDENT, liquid damage, disassembly, unauthorized service and unauthorized modifications. Please review the warranty for further details. When a service is not covered under the warranty, Apple will return your original iPod to you without providing service, and may hold you responsible for shipping costs, plus any applicable sales tax.

Note: There are liquid submersion indicators in iPod models manufactured after 2006. Please refer to this article to check if the liquid submersion indicator on your product has been triggered."

The other part of your post is also nonsense. Those other companies do not cover crap like this unless you buy some other kind of additional protection.

Maybe you're right about what Apple does now; however, I broke my iPod from my own fault and Apple gave me a new one for free. Anyway, the thing you called "nonsense." Go to HP, they charge $250 for accidental service. I'm sorry, I did get it confused Asus offer free accidental service. However, my original point is still valid. Apple should AT LEAST include accidental insurance in their Apple car plan, or they should offer a accidental care warranty at a reasonable price. Is that too much to ask for a a Pc that can cost of to 2k+?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Maybe you're right about what Apple does now; however, I broke my iPod from my own fault and Apple gave me a new one for free. Anyway, the thing you called "nonsense." Go to HP, they charge $250 for accidental service. I'm sorry, I did get it confused Asus offer free accidental service. However, my original point is still valid. Apple should AT LEAST include accidental insurance in their Apple car plan, or they should offer a accidental care warranty at a reasonable price. Is that too much to ask for a a Pc that can cost of to 2k+?

They can offer whatever they want. You do know there are 3rd party folks that offer the exact kind of coverage you are looking for? Anyhow, I think we scared the OP away :)

Reaction score
They can offer whatever they want. You do know there are 3rd party folks that offer the exact kind of coverage you are looking for? Anyhow, I think we scared the OP away :)

We all know how Mac owners are. Apple should offer the service directly because it would be more "consumer friendly," like their devices. Oh, yeah, sorry, op. I was in accordance, but we did kind of derail his thread a little.:|

Reaction score
That's a horrible analogy. Anyway, the guy used the insurance policy. Anyway, HP, Sony, Dell,etc. They all cover accidents. As a matter of fact, Apple covers accidents for the iPod. Apple should cover (for their macbooks) for up to one year, like most companies already do. Macbooks are VERY expensive, so I think they should be covered. Apple service care (extra) doesn't even cover accidents. I don't think that's fare. If Macbooks (and Apple care) were significantly cheaper than MAYBE it would be permissible. However, I can't afford to drop 2k on another Macbook if I drop it on my way to class. My Macbook Pro screen broke because of my stand. If several other companies cover accidents, why not Apple?

Actually i think that's a perfect analogy lol. I can speak for Dell as i worked their for 3 years. They do offer a "complete care insurance". So basically you buy 3 years extended warranty for 200$ and then the option of the complete care insurance for another 318$. 518$ later you're insured for anything that happens to your Dell whether you spilled water on it or "accidentally dropped it out of your 5 story apt building they will replace it. 518$ warranty coverage on a 1200$ machine...

Why do you think that apple should cover things that is your fault? They have no control over what you do. But they do have control over their own software and hardware thats why they support that.

Agreed that the Warranty with HP is half decent 360$ for a 2K computer with accidental coverage is pretty good.

The difference is Dell is on site maintenance and HP is return to depot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.