Can I use my laptop as a monitor for a PowerMac 6100? And complete reformat advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, OS X version 10.5.8, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hey there,
We need to get rid of a Power Mac 6100, but it has to be reformatted first and I was told the monitor is no longer working. I'm wondering if I can use my Mac Book Pro as a the monitor some how? I haven't seen the 6100 yet to compare cables and my connectors, but I was hoping maybe one of you would know off hand.

ALSO, I read that Mac has software built in to securely delete all files unlike the hoops PC users have to jump through. Is that true? This computer was used for years and year and years by my boyfriend's mom and I'm sure it has tons of personal, private, information on it that should be completely erased.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Not sure about the monitor, does the 6100 have Firewire even?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm wondering if I can use my Mac Book Pro as a the monitor some how? I haven't seen the 6100 yet to compare cables and my connectors, but I was hoping maybe one of you would know off hand.
No.

Notebooks cannot be used as monitors for desktop systems.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, OS X version 10.5.8, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Bummer.

Yeah, I think our only option to hook it up to my computer is the monitor cable. Even if it does have firewire, the cords to hook it up to something else are long gone.

I read that I could use VNC to access the hard drive over the network, but it'll be slow and almost unusable even at that point. I'd hate to buy the software only to find that I can't do what needs to be done.

Thanks for your input!

Reaction score
Just take out the hard drive and drive a nail throw it. Unless you know someone who wants the 6100, if you donate it some place its going in the dumpster.
Find a Machead that would like to fool with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.