DVD+RW's only write at 2.4X?? (2.4 Unibody MBP)

Reaction score
Hi, I own a 15 inch 2.4 unibody mbp and my Matshita DVD-R UJ-868 drive only writes DVD+RW's at 2.4 without an option for 4x. I've tried different brands of media, and I've even popped them into a 2 year old whitebook which shows the option for 4x and 2.4 :(
I called applecare, and of course they ran me through a few things then told me to bring it into a store. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had dvd+rw's showing up without a 4X speed in system profiler/disk utility before taking it into a store. Thanks in advance :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most DVD+RW media will only write at 2.4X regardless of what's being reported by the software. In any event, DVD+RW media is unreliable and probably shouldn't be written to any faster than 2.4X anyway. I no longer use DVD+RW media and have thrown away the supply I had. DVD+R media is more reliable, writes much faster, and inexpensive.

Office Depot is selling a canister of 50 DVD+R disks for $9.95. Why would you want to purchase and use the more expensive, slower, and less reliable DVD+RW disks?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
Most +RW write at 4x now and not 2.4x. I use them all the time at 4x and I have found them to be more reliable than some DVD media (like Office Depot brand) and as good as many DVD+R media.

A single DVD+RW can save you a 50 pack easy if used to temp file transfer or for watching a TV show or movie once in a divx DVD player. Also they are good as a secondary backup of files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.