usb drive - remove automatically

Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to Mac and I'm wondering if you can just simply remove your USB stick like in Windows, where you can set it that you can just simply remove it without losing your files?

Can you also do that in Mac or do you have to unmount/remove it properly?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz
you can just eject it by opening 'macintosh HD', and finding the usb in the list, and clicking the eject icon next to it :)

OP
T
Reaction score
ok I've tried to eject it and it says that it can't be close because some files are still in use.

If I just take it right away, will I lose my files?
Because in Windows if it's still in use and if you configure the USB stick to just simply take it without losing your files, you can just do that.

Is it the same in Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz
youll have to try quitting your applications so that the files are not in use, it usually does this to me so i just take it out, i never lose anything but i'm not recommending it! maybe i just got lucky :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Or you can just drag it to the trash, or highlight it and press the eject key.

Windows actually works the exact same way, it's just that it won't warn you by default like OS X does. If you pull a USB drive out while there's an active session with an application, you *will* lose data or damage the file system (or both).

This is the reason that there is an icon down in the system tray on Windows XP and Vista that if you hover over it says "Safely Remove Hardware". It's often hidden because most Windows users are blissfully unaware of its existence and purpose.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You are getting those warnings because you are working off the USB, which is a big no no.

Windows does give you those alerts actually. Well I get them in Vista when I have a window still open that belongs to a USB folder. It's kind of annoying because I'm not working with any of the files. >_<"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.