WDS (Main to Remote) IP address problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.5.6, +others
Having problem setting up Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS) as Main, and an Express (AX) as Remote.

Testing with 2 different computers, the AEBS's wireless network connects to the internet fine. Each computer was assigned a good IP address (example 10.0.1.2, subnet 255.255.255.0).

But when trying via the AX, I get the "connected, but self-assigned IP address" message and no internet connection. Not sure why it is happening. Tried lots of things including rebooting all devices.

Basically, starting with both devices reset to factory default settings, followed Apples instructions, and also changed their names and passwords. The two devices indicate they are linked when I entered the AX Airport ID # into the AEBS settings, then the AX showed a connection.

Here are some other settings...

AEBS (Main):
-Firmware 5.7
-Wireless Mode: Participate in a WDS network
-Wireless Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal
-Channel: 1
-WDS Mode: WDS Main
-Allow wireless clients
-Internet Connection: Ethernet (DHCP from main router)
---(IP is correct for router settings, subnet is 255.255.255.0)
-DHCP Addresses to assign: 10.0.1.2 -> .200

AX (Remote)
:
-Firmware 6.3
-Wireless Mode: Participate in a WDS network
-Wireless Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal
-Channel: 1
-WDS Mode: WDS Remote
-Allow wireless clients
-Internet Connection: Airport (WDS)(grayed out)
-Configure IPv4: using DHCP
---(IP, router, DNS, etc are all blank, subnet is 255.255.255.255)
-Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)

Any ideas to try? :Confused:

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.5.6, +others
HELP!! Is there anyone who can give me some ideas to try?

I had another Airport Extreme Base and I tried it as a Remote from the original Main base station (with the same basic settings as the Express had). And it had the same problems. So, I don't think it's a faulty hardware problem.

PLEASE, isn't there some experts reading these?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
AEBS has a newer version 7.4.1 and my settings mock yours but you did not
state if you had under connection sharing if it was off (bridge mode) and under advanced IPv6 the mode would be Node and configure automatically
and did you reboot the AEBS and modem at the same time.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.5.6, +others
My Base Stations are older (802.11g). It looks like that is the highest the firmware goes up to, Am I wrong? I know the base stations are a little older, But they are still "Extreme" and I know they still support this ability to extend range.

Connection Sharing for AEBS is "Share a public IP address"
** I just tried switching this to "off (bridge mode)" and it didn't work.

Can't find IPv6 under Advanced tab or any settings for this base station
(I'm using Airport Utility 5.4.1)

Yes I did reboot all devices at the same time.

Any ideas? :|

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.5.6, +others
I discovered the solution and I'll post it here for anyone who may have the same problem in the future.

I tried disabling all security and that worked. So, then I set it to 40 bit WEP and it worked as well. But when I placed the Express in its final position (in a power strip behind the tv/stereo system) the problem reoccurred.

This time it must be interference from the power strip (or in combination with the distance from the Main Base Station). I got it to work on a small extension cord plugged into the same power strip, 2 feet above where it didn't work. Such sensitive equipment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.