Have to use Windows: What version is best?

Reaction score
So, I have to use Windows for some programs.

Which Windows OS is best? XP? Vista? Should I wait for 7?

Would be running in Parallels or Fusion most likely. However, would like to run Vegas Studio for some already-in-progress video editing. Is a terminal window okay or would Bootcamp be best?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Windows XP has the lightest footprint of them all. So, if you don't need any of Vista's additional features (i.e. DX10 support), then XP should be just fine.

Vegas should run fine in a VM, although for best performance, you're going to want to use Boot Camp.

I guess my only question is why would you want to run Sony Vegas, when you own a machine capable of running the preeminent video editing suite on the market.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I want to use Vegas because iMovie has one inexcusable flaw: it is unable to import previously recorded MTS files that I have saved on my external HDD.

Vegas recognized the files within the first minutes.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply.

I want to use Vegas because iMovie has one inexcusable flaw: it is unable to import previously recorded MTS files that I have saved on my external HDD.

Vegas recognized the files within the first minutes.

OK, I was referring to Final Cut, which I believe is a more direct competitor. Although I'm not familiar with MTS files....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
VirtualBox; Windows OS

So, I have to use Windows for some programs.

Which Windows OS is best? XP? Vista? Should I wait for 7?

Would be running in Parallels or Fusion most likely. However, would like to run Vegas Studio for some already-in-progress video editing. Is a terminal window okay or would Bootcamp be best?

If you haven't already bought your VM application yet, you should check out VirtualBox, which is a free virtual-machine application. I use it and it works great.

Also, as for the Windows OS, I use XP SP3 on the virtual machine and it works pretty well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
XP Professional SP 3.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll find a cheap copy of XP then.

cwa107, interesting how we were referring to different applications. If Final Cut can see previously recorded MTS files then I'll go that way, but iMovie can't without having copied the entire camera folder structure, and who does that without knowledge that they have to.

I have had a long post over on Apple's forum about this, and there is no clear solution to those who wish to use iMovie with files they have stored on their HDDs. Vegas has no problem editing these files. I'll have to check with Final Cut though.

OP
T
Reaction score
Just a quick question:

It doesn't matter which Service Pack version I purchase with the OS, as I can just upgrade it once installed?

I am seeing prices of about $130 for XP Pro w/ SP3. Does that seem fair? I don't think I have actually purchased an OS before as it is always installed on the machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a quick question:

It doesn't matter which Service Pack version I purchase with the OS, as I can just upgrade it once installed?

I am seeing prices of about $130 for XP Pro w/ SP3. Does that seem fair? I don't think I have actually purchased an OS before as it is always installed on the machine.

The Service Pack integrated into the disc should be at least SP2 if you plan to install Windows via Boot Camp.

$130 isn't totally out of line with pricing I've seen, but I think you could probably do better. Just make sure it is NOT an upgrade edition and that it's either "OEM for System Builders" or a retail version.

OP
T
Reaction score
Great. Thanks. That's why forums are such a good place for info.

I found this one on Newegg, click here.

Is there any difference between a retail and an OEM version? I read the disclaimer and I am not entirely following the rules, as far as I can tell.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you qualify, you can get Windows Server 2003 for free through DreamSpark. With some tweaks, it can become a solid Windows install for desktop usage. I would look into this if you can and hopefully you can save yourself some money.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great. Thanks. That's why forums are such a good place for info.

I found this one on Newegg, click here.

Is there any difference between a retail and an OEM version? I read the disclaimer and I am not entirely following the rules, as far as I can tell.

OEM software is intended to be sold to be paired with a new computer. The only real limitation is that it may only be installed on one computer (the computer that you bought it for).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.