HDD Partition and Detection Problem

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 500 Gb harddisk which i partitioned here on Mac.

1) 150 GB (Plan to use it as a Time Machine backup).

2) 350 Gb ( Fat 32 format to use it on both windows and here on Mac)

Now, The same HDD, i got it detected on Vista (the 2nd disk) and formatted the 350 Gb to an NTFS file format.

I installed the NTFS 3G application so that my system can detect the NTFS HDD. But what ever it is that I do, i am unable to do so. The iDisk utility refuses to mount even though it shows up over there.

On the other hand I have a PenDrive (NTFS format) which i am able to use to copy and files around between the two systems.

Anyone, any idea of why is the dual partition HDD of mine causing problems? or is it something that i did wrong?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I take it by NTFS 3G, you're referring to MacFUSE. If that's true, be aware that FUSE tends to be flakey, period. IMO, it's more hassle than it's worth.

If it needs to be formatted in NTFS, consider Paragon NTFS for Mac, which not only comes with fool-proof, high-performance NTFS Mac driver, but also a driver for accessing Mac volumes from Windows. It bridges the gap perfectly.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yup. That is correct about MacFuse. Let me give it a try with Paragon application. Thanks for the tip. Appreciate that. I'll get back to ya with the results.

Thank you.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi,
I installed the Paragon V 7 as was mentioned by you in your message and well, the device was still not mounted. So i erased it to Windows NT file system here on mac using the Disk utility. Now, the device is detected on both Windows and Mac.

A new problem, the files that i copy from my Mac machine to the HDD is NOT seen when i plug the HDD on my windows machine. Windows says there are no files and that it is empty.

Any clues as to why this should happen?

Awaiting your reply.

Thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never had that happen before with Paragon. Did you eject the volume properly before you disconnected the drive?

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi,

By ejecting the volume properly, you mean unmounting the drive, right? Yeah I did that and all.

If not, i think i will need a little more of your time here, as i am a PC --> Mac mover.

Thank you,

Kiran

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try running chkdsk on the volume on your Windows machine.

Open Command Prompt and type the following:

chkdsk <driveletter>: /F

When it's finished, check to see if your files are present. If not, you'll need to contact Paragon's tech support as I've never seen NTFS for Mac exhibit this behavior before. It's been entirely seamless for me.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi,
I think i found out what the problem was. When partitioning, i had not partitioned it using the MBR. I was carrying it out using the GUID (Default settings) in the partitioning tab.

For the heck of it i thought i will give it a shot... and WOLA.... it worked. Now i am able to move my HDD around between my Windows and the Mac machine.

Phew!!! What a relief :D

Thank you for the time and help. Appreciate it.

-/ Kiran

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.