half of the pixels on my screen turned a certain colour

Reaction score
I've had my MacBook Pro for 17 months now.
Yesterday, out of nowhere (didn't drop it or anything), half of the pixels on my screen turned a certain colour.
It's not a whole chunk of the screen but instead they are many lines of a random colour (i've had white, red, green, yellow, black so far) down my screen. The lines are only 1 pixel wide and cross the entire screen.
Let's say that each letter represent 1 pixel (N=normal screen colour, C=random colour) the screen follows this pattern:
NCNCNCNCNCNCNCNCNCNCNCNCNCN
It has been changing from that to a normal screen at random (time periods range from minutes to hours). Because it has been changing back to the line-less normal screen; it's safe to say that the screen is ok.
I've DL'd smcfancontrol (6000 rpm); it seemed to help... but has, just then, reverted back to the screwed up pixellation.
I've searched everywhere on the net trying to find someone who's had a similar problem - but to no avail.
Please help me! :(

Reaction score
Could it be the logic board? or something to do with the video card?, with saying that contacting apple about it if you cant find anything about it on the web might be your best bet

Reaction score
Hmm that's to bad.

Got Applecare?

3 causes here, monitor, video card, or RAM.

Do the lines happen even before the OS is loaded.
Try attaching it to an external monitor still see the lines? If so it's for sure your video card.

I'm new to macs so not sure how it works but are your drivers up to date? If they are try installing an older version of the driver.

Although rare it could be your memory take out a 1 stick of memory and test does it still happen then swap out the other memory stick. Don't know macs well but if their is a Mac version of MEMTEST you may want to run it over night.

Most often this is a hardware problem sorry to say.

Reaction score
If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within two years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.
Take it to Apple ASAP. You're still covered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.