Time capsule backup and simultanous storage

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Ill try and keep this as brief and concise as possible.

I currently have a new mac mini with a 120GB internal hard drive and a FW800 320GB Lacie external drive used currently as a movie storage and as a time machine backup.

I am soon going to be filling this drive to serve pretty much as a media drive and move my backup to another drive...preferably a time capsule.

My question is, if i were to buy a time capsule could i backup my mac mini internal drive to it and all my movies on the mac mini attached external lacie using the time machine dialogue box?

If i wanted to could i chose to manually backup the movies and automaticaly backup my mini hard drive?

Finally is a time capsule the best way to do it or is there a better NAS box alternitive?

Any help would be great, thanks everyone

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Time Machine does not require it's own partition as many other backup options require.

You can backup multiple Mac's to a single Time Capsule and also move any other data to the same partition.

I have TM backups of 2 Macs along with a 3rd copy of my iTunes and movie libraries on a single partition TC drive.

Whether that's the best way or not - ???

I also maintain a bootable backup for my machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I would be interested to see comments on this also. My Lacie is 13 months old and yesterday the icon would not appear on the imac and the Lacie was making a squealing noise. I might be having to go another route on backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.