Shift 3 does not give the UK pound sign in VMFusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GT130 1Tb
Hi all, as it says in the title, in VMFusion, when using MS Word, shift 3 gives the hash character, not the expected £ character, in fact, I can't get the £ sign from the keyboard at all! All other key mappings are there, if not in the exact same position as it says on the keys. All works ok in native OS.

My presumption is that this is a US keyboard layout so I've altered the national language to English (UK) and changed the Word template default language to English (UK) but this has not changed the k/b mapping.

So, questions..... can I change the mapping in VMF to reflect a UK configuration??

and if so, how??

Inserting a £ as a special character is not an option I wish to have to use

thanks for you time and apologies if I've missed the blindingly obvious!

OP
rholmes01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GT130 1Tb
Sorted - I missed the blindingly obvious!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
For the benefit of those that may have a similar problem in the future it would help if you wouldn't mind posting the solution. I'm sure someone would thank you for it in the not too distant future. Cheers.

OP
rholmes01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GT130 1Tb
Fair enough .....

On the Windows Control Panel in the VMFusion session , select Regional and Language Options icon...

Format tab > select English UK
Location tab > select United Kingdom
Keyboards and Languages tab > click Change Keyboards, select English UK and move UK keyboard to top of list

also select default language in Word

This worked for me but beware, the keyboard is a standard PC layout, not the MAC layout (@ and " reversed for example)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Thank you for sharing that rholmes01.

I'm sure someone in the future will be glad of that explanation.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Fair enough .....

On the Windows Control Panel in the VMFusion session , select Regional and Language Options icon...

Format tab > select English UK
Location tab > select United Kingdom
Keyboards and Languages tab > click Change Keyboards, select English UK and move UK keyboard to top of list

also select default language in Word

This worked for me but beware, the keyboard is a standard PC layout, not the MAC layout (@ and " reversed for example)

Where is the windows control panel and what is VMFusion session

I am having the same problem, unfortunately I don't know enough about computers to be able to follow these directions. So where is theWindows Control Panel in a VMFusion session, please help.

Hi I have just recently(within a week) switched to Mac. Brilliant! I have loaded microsoft office 2011 and when I try to get a pound sign I get a hash sign on shift+3. I have changed the dictionary toEngliskUK but no change can anyone help. Please keep answers as thorough as possible as I am 43yrs old and half daft! thanks

I have a IMac installed with lion and have just installed office2011. When i try and get a pound sign on shift+3 i get a hash sign instead. i have changed the dictionary to uk english but still no joy. Can any one help.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Posts Merged

Please do not make multiple posts on the same subject. Also, realize we are all volunteers and reside in many time zones so it may take a while for someone to respond to your post.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just for clarification, I assume you aren't running Windows or VMWare on your Mac, and that you are using the Mac version of Office.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I am running Office:mac 2011. The operating system is OS X Lion. If you can help that would be great.

Unfortunately I don't use Office on my Mac, but we have several members that are Office experts, one will probably post in.

One thing I would suggest is that you look in Office Preferences and see if there are Language or Keyboard options you can select. I doubt the Dictionary has anything to do with it.

Reaction score
that is half the problem. On a PC there is a control panel and other accessible programs etc. But on this I can on only open the program itself. I can't find how to change preferences, but thank you very much for helping.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the Menu Bar, the first Menu to the right of the Apple Icon should titled Office or MS Office. Click on that and Preferences should be one of the choices.

EDIT: For a corollary to Control Panel, click the Gear Icon in the Dock and that opens System Preferences.
Also, I highly recommending Missing Manual series Switching to the Mac by David Pogue

Reaction score
ok I have sussed it.
Go to system preferences (gears).
Select Language andText.
Select Imput Sources.
Change from US to British in drop down list.
Hash is now £.
Thank you for your guidance. I would never have found with out your patience £££££££££

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it sorted out! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.