Will mini displayport work with ADC to DVI Adaptor?

Reaction score
Hi-

Just found the site- and i am in a bit of a pickle- first time poster would appreciate some help please!

Just bought an newer Imac that has a mini displayport-

I have a cinema display hd with a ADC to DVI adaptor-

i bought a mini display port to dvi adaptor (third party) with hopes that I can use my cinema display with the Imac...

It doesn't work...

Do I need the dual link adapter? or should i buy the acutal apple Mini Displayport to dvi adaptor or am i just out of luck?

Thank you!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Well, the dual-link adaptor won't help; it's only needed for higher resolution displays like the 30" model.

I've never heard of anyone who's done this, or even tried it.

It may be that two conversions is just too much for the signal from that little port. There may be a small chance that the Apple adapter will work better, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
T
Reaction score
Sounds like you are trying to convert ADC to DVI to VGA?

Maybe something like this to convert ADC to VGA without the middle step may be the solution:-

VGAtor VGA to ADC converter bargain | Buymac - Compare Prices & Save shopping in Australia

Be warned they ain't cheap but you may be able to find a used model.

na- i am converting adc to dvi to mini display adapter

I went out and bought the official apple mini display adapter and now everything is working fine-

Reaction score
teamneedle -

I want to make sure I understand what you did because I think it's what I'm going to try to do.

My G5 PowerMac died and I ordered a new iMac which has that new mini display port.

I bought a 23" HD Cinema Display when I got the powermac and it has that proprietary connection and does not require a power cord.

I was thinking of hooking up the old cinema display to the new imac and use it as a second (extended) monitor.

I was thinking that I could use this out of the iMac:

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

and connect it to this:

Apple DVI to ADC Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

which connects to the ADC connector on the cinema display.

as I understand it that second adapter also has an ac plug so you can supply power to the cinema display.

Is this what you did and how you have it set up?

If so . . .

does the cinema display act as a second extended monitor or is it just a mirror of the iMac monitor?

If it is a second monitor does it have the full resolution of 1920 x 1200?

If yes, do you see a performance hit on the iMac?

I'm hoping this works because I'd hate to not use the cinema display (such a great monitor) it would be such a waste . . . plus haivng 48" of screen space would be cool . . . using photoshop with every palette open on the second monitor would rock.

A

Reaction score
teamneedle -

I want to make sure I understand what you did because I think it's what I'm going to try to do.

My G5 PowerMac died and I ordered a new iMac which has that new mini display port.

I bought a 23" HD Cinema Display when I got the powermac and it has that proprietary connection and does not require a power cord.

I was thinking of hooking up the old cinema display to the new imac and use it as a second (extended) monitor.

I was thinking that I could use this out of the iMac:

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

and connect it to this:

Apple DVI to ADC Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

which connects to the ADC connector on the cinema display.

as I understand it that second adapter also has an ac plug so you can supply power to the cinema display.

Is this what you did and how you have it set up?

If so . . .

does the cinema display act as a second extended monitor or is it just a mirror of the iMac monitor?

If it is a second monitor does it have the full resolution of 1920 x 1200?

If yes, do you see a performance hit on the iMac?

I'm hoping this works because I'd hate to not use the cinema display (such a great monitor) it would be such a waste . . . plus haivng 48" of screen space would be cool . . . using photoshop with every palette open on the second monitor would rock.

A

Longshot... being so old... but Im thinking of doing the same. looks like some of it has been discontinued... should I waste my time locating the various adapters? or just go spend a few $hundred on a newer better montior.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.