Wont boot up past blue screen

Reaction score
I hardly ever turn off my Macbook unless i need to - I just close it and use it whenever i need to. I let the battery run dry as Apple suggests to do every now and again, and turned it on the next day.

It started to boot and took a little longer to get past the grey apple logo and loading circle and then froze on the blue screen. I can control the mouse, but every few seconds it changes to a darker blue, cursor disappears but returns after a second or two.

I've tried:
- Booting into safe mode (Same thing happens)

- Booting from CD and repairing permissions (Said everything was ok, same thing happens when I booted)

- Single user mode (used some commands from an Apple page and restarted)

- Resetting the PRAM

I can however boot into windows perfectly fine, which leads me to suspect it's a corrupt log in item. I'd like to know for sure it's not a hardware problem so I don't have to take it into an Apple Store.

Thanks alot,
Sam

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try running the Apple Hardware test on your machine. Link When you booted from your install DVD did you verify the hard drive? (Top menu - Utilities - Disk Utilities - Verify and Repair.)

A corrupt login item generally will not prevent the machine from booting, and, just because Windows can boot does not necessarily mean the hard drive is OK.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry for not being clear. When I booted from disk, I repaired permissions and verified them after. It stated something like "Everything seems to be ok".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.