Converting WAV to AIFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,

What is the best way to batch convert a folder of wav files (thousands of files) to aiff files? That is, the entire folder including all subfolders.

If there isn't a way to batch convert like that, what is the best way to convert just a single folder (no subfolders).

I read somewhere that I might be able to simply change the extension of wav to aiff... what do they mean by that?

Is there any difference between the 3 letter extension "aif", and the 4 letter "aiff" ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
This is the best program I've found by far, it handles all formats and you can rip CD's in any of them too.

Max from sbooth.org

Now, you wont be able to batch convert by folder and subfolder as far as I know (I've never tried mind you).
Merely changing the extension from wav to aiff won't work, and what is meant by that is to remove the .wav and replace it with .aiff.

The difference is that if you transfer aif or burn them to disc they won't play, it needs to be aiff.

Anyway, get Max, it's a brilliant free ripper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
iTunes will happily convert between any of the importing formats it supports, including AAC, MP3, WAV, and AIFF.

Make a new playlist in iTunes.
Drag them into the playlist.
Set your iTunes import preferences to use AIFF as the encoding format
Go back to your playlist, and select all of the files. (Edit > Select All)
Choose Advanced > Create AIFF Version)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
iTunes will happily convert between any of the importing formats it supports, including AAC, MP3, WAV, and AIFF.

Make a new playlist in iTunes.
Drag them into the playlist.
Set your iTunes import preferences to use AIFF as the encoding format
Go back to your playlist, and select all of the files. (Edit > Select All)
Choose Advanced > Create AIFF Version)

The above is the exact way I do my batch converting of audio files.

My only question for the OP is since WAV and AIFF are both non lossy formats, why are you converting? Does something you are doing need AIFF?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
FWIW, I use SoundConverter (shareware) SoundConverter (Mac) - Download. Interestingly, I converted AIFC to WAV the other day, for a Win user, and I was mightily impressed with the WAV sound quality. The downside is the file size, but if storage is not an issue, I'd suggest leaving the audio as WAV. Others' thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
The only reason I don't use iTunes, is that when you create the new file it puts it in the same folder as the original, and you end up having to sort through them in the iTunes as well, as you get both files in the playlist.
With Max you can specify a different output folder for the new files, which makes it much easier to move them where you want or to burn a disc from.
iTunes is great, don't get me wrong, I just find it more functional to use Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.